Mazon Creek ID

Rob Russell

Hey Folks. 

I’m fairly positive this is a partial tullymonster. Found it yesterday, 3/7/20 in Mazonia south unit.  Thanks in advance for any confirming comments. 

18D7A385-D24B-45A3-9828-E20D6AC9C3AF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Yes definitely. You can see the eye bar. Part of the proboscis. No claw or tail, but a good 75% of the body. Nice find!!!

• I found this Informative 3

Agreed!

you have a Tully.

Has the transverse bar preserved along with an eye.

congratulations!

• I found this Informative 4

Wow - congrats! So am I correct in saying that the indented line across the middle is the eye bar? Where is the eye? And is the proboscis pointing up? I've never seen one of these in person so I'm not quite sure I know what I'm looking at. That said, I can definitely see the outline of the body. What a great find! Gosh I would be so excited to find something like this! Some day, hopefully.

18 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

Wow - congrats! So am I correct in saying that the indented line across the middle is the eye bar? Where is the eye? And is the proboscis pointing up? I've never seen one of these in person so I'm not quite sure I know what I'm looking at. That said, I can definitely see the outline of the body. What a great find! Gosh I would be so excited to find something like this! Some day, hopefully.

Thanks!  Yes, that’s the eye bar. The preserved eye is right on the rim of the right edge of the fossil. At the end of the bar. Fortunately, the area of the fossil that isn’t visible is still in the concretion. It could be prepped off, I suppose. And you do have the orientation correct. It’s pointing upwards. 

I think i found at least one, maybe two or three, more today. I’ve got them soaking to be cleaned now. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, JoeySRT8 said:

Nice find Rob!!

Thanks Joey!  Hope you find some time to get out this spring! If you can pry yourself away from catching trophy salmon. :P 

3 hours ago, Rob Russell said:

Thanks Joey!  Hope you find some time to get out this spring! If you can pry yourself away from catching trophy salmon. :P 

Lol, I was just talking to Jen about taking a trip in the next week or two.