For your review, here is a specimen of Palmoxylon, sp. (a fossilized extinct palm tree) found in March 2020 in the San Juan Basin of San Juan County, NM.  The area is within the Kirtland Formation, Upper Cretaceous Period.   This specimen has been cut to show several views of a transition zone in the root ball where adventitious roots or Rhizopalmoxylon, sp. emerge.  The first photograph has been diagrammed to show several features in the transition zone.  

I have also submitted photos of this specimen in the March 2020 "Find of the Month" contest, and a more complete description of the specimen has been made in that entry.

Zone 2 with diagram.jpg

Zone 4.jpg

Zone 3.jpg

Zone 1.jpg

Zone 5.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Jerry W. is this a personal find?

:dinothumb:

Yes, found it this past Saturday along with quite a bit other petrified palm wood.  It was a good weekend.

Awesome.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Awesome find! :wub::envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

The common practice for petrified wood is to use "form genera" names for specimens, thus all petrified palm fiber is described as Palmoxylon sp and the roots as Rhizopalmoxylon sp. The reason for this convention is that the wood rarely gets as much attention as the foliage when plants are described and these components are rarely, if ever, found attached.

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest