Trevor's White River Prep

Daleksec

Turtle collected by My Friend Zolt. At the white River Badlands at the M&M Ranch Nebraska. This Turtle is missing the Front part and was associated with a Flattend Oreodont Skull. About a foot apart.

IMG_20181031_152051290.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Excellent work. 

The oreodont is magnificent, but I rather like the turtle too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Amazing prepwork

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent work. 

The oreodont is magnificent, but I rather like the turtle too. :)

Fatherly bias!

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Daleksec said:

Finish job

929.jpeg

Daleksec, I have a turtle similar to yours.  I did not remove any matrix from the front exposed portion as you did.  Did you see bone material or did you just remove matrix until you found the bones?  I have been wanting to see if there are any but didn't want to take the chance - until now.  What do you think?

DSCN8772.JPG

DSCN8780.JPG

Turtle top front 1 (2).JPG

9 hours ago, Daleksec said:

Finished

1806.jpeg

Very nice job!  Especially the details on the teeth.  Great find.

14 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Daleksec, I have a turtle similar to yours.  I did not remove any matrix from the front exposed portion as you did.  Did you see bone material or did you just remove matrix until you found the bones?  I have been wanting to see if there are any but didn't want to take the chance - until now.  What do you think?

I have seen and worked on enough medium sized White River tortoises that I would be willing to bet there are at least some bones in yours that you could expose without hollowing it out.  But if you take it to your local hospital I bet you can talk the CT folks into looking inside with their million dollar machine.  

30 minutes ago, jpc said:

I have seen and worked on enough medium sized White River tortoises that I would be willing to bet there are at least some bones in yours that you could expose without hollowing it out.  But if you take it to your local hospital I bet you can talk the CT folks into looking inside with their million dollar machine.  

Thanks JPC.  That kind of cooperation would be nice, but our local (non-profit) hospital charges $500.00 just to walk in the door and tell them what's wrong with you.  They won't hesitate to send you a bill for $0.38 (speaking from experience) even if it costs them $75.00 in personnel administration fees to process it...  And, you can't go anywhere in that hospital without first going through the receptionist and guards (no joke) at the front door.  When I didn't find any bones in the rear leg sockets I wasn't sure if I should try the front section.  I may have to just keep wondering.....or just take the chance. 

11 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks JPC.  That kind of cooperation would be nice, but our local (non-profit) hospital charges $500.00 just to walk in the door and tell them what's wrong with you.  They won't hesitate to send you a bill for $0.38 (speaking from experience) even if it costs them $75.00 in personnel administration fees to process it...  And, you can't go anywhere in that hospital without first going through the receptionist and guards (no joke) at the front door.  When I didn't find any bones in the rear leg sockets I wasn't sure if I should try the front section.  I may have to just keep wondering.....or just take the chance. 

I found my neighborhood dentist to be much more accommodating that the hospitals.  It probably helps that our kids are friends, we go to the same church and my family is all his patient, but many dentists have CT scanners as well.

I agree. All the hospitals I have ever had dealings with would be more than glad to take the scan. But will also send you a very hefty bill afterward too. :o