Bayfront Park and Matoaka 2/9/20

timmy6848

Hello all!

On Sunday, I realized that Monday would be an amazing day to go shark tooth hunting so I took the chance and went. I arrived at Bayfront park at 8 am and did not find anything significant. I found small teeth, some petrified wood, and a broken shark vertebrae. After realizing that I was not going to find anything too impressive, I drove to Matoaka and encountered the same luck. I asked around and supposedly everyone I met was finding only small teeth as well. 

The best finds of the day were an angel shark tooth and a fairly intact ecphora.

- Timmy

B17911E5-767E-41A5-8F01-00C25F41EB25.jpeg

0DB1FF3D-F76B-4794-B62D-C5E7EF953600.jpeg

4034F17D-90B4-4D9D-85B7-8D4AD3EB865F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

I really miss hunting for teeth along those shores.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Matoaka can be tough. But its a great area of the choptank formation. And a shelf contains the upper Calvert formation not far offshore. I'd recommend learning the beds there and how to relate the falling material. There is a wide variety of fossils that acasionally erode out of the fallen boulders and a fair amount washes up and gets caught between the shoreline sandbars. Working the area between the last seawall and the small creek is productive sifting if your into that. Its a heavily hunted area so surface finds arent always easy. But its a pretty replenished spot when the bay gets active. 

Just now, Searcher78 said:

I didn’t go to Bayfront on Monday because I thought it was closed? :zzzzscratchchin:

Most of the beach is, but not all of it. Upon arriving on the beach you are pretty much limited to 100 yards give or take of beach. The “closed” part is pretty much where the cliffs start to anything past it. Where I searched was simply the beach.

10 minutes ago, timmy6848 said:

Most of the beach is, but not all of it. Upon arriving on the beach you are pretty much limited to 100 yards give or take of beach. The “closed” part is pretty much where the cliffs start to anything past it. Where I searched was simply the beach.

If I can’t use my waders to search the water near the cliffs, then it is not worth my time. Thanks for the heads up.

Just now, Searcher78 said:

If I can’t use my waders to search the water near the cliffs, then it is not worth my time. Thanks for the heads up.

I get that and I didn’t really know it was closed down until I arrived. The major closure was the reason why I went to Matoaka afterwards.

5 minutes ago, timmy6848 said:

I get that and I didn’t really know it was closed down until I arrived. The major closure was the reason why I went to Matoaka afterwards.

Do you know if Breezy Point is even worth trying?

14 hours ago, Searcher78 said:

Do you know if Breezy Point is even worth trying?

From what I know, Breezy Point is known for very tiny teeth and unfortunately nothing more. I have never hunted there but when I was a kid I would find tiny teeth by accident when playing at that beach.