2020 Ontario Trilobite Hunting

Kane

Thanks, Scott! That would make this very exciting (and another Ontario first). It's in a bit of a rough shape, but I'll put it under the scope to see if I can get a bit more of the detail (and to determine if there is at least a base or not for the medial axial spine). 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hm. The less than ideal condition of the preservation is making it a distinct challenge to determine the (non)presence of an axial spine. 

Some very light scribing, but I dare not take it much further without committing this to more competent hands (and finer tools than a PT Aro). 

I've also tried casting it in the negative to see if any other diagnostic features can be more readily observed. Funnily enough, I did encounter a tiny proetid pygidium stowaway to the upper left. :P 

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7481.JPG

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Very interesting find......  perhaps we will see you in the next few weeks......

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Malcolmt said:

Very interesting find......  perhaps we will see you in the next few weeks......

Hopefully! It looks like my calendar is virtually wide open at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

G. and I were there on Monday. A mudfest....found nothing

We’ll be going to some new spots this year. ;)

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

G. and I were there on Monday. A mudfest....found nothing

@Kane has taken all.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

No Kane is very sharing...He leaves all the brachs for me and the horn coral for G.

I seem to remember you both being very happy for me to vacuum up all the brachs at the site we visited when we were up there. I was just trying to clean up the site so you all could spot the trilobites. :P

I've got a nice little ceramic bowl (that I threw) filled with rugose corals and brachiopods from that outing. It sits in my library and I pass by it and appreciate it every couple of days. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 5

Half complete Pseudodechenella sp. from Amherstburg Fm material. Extraction was challenging as it was in the middle of a large, rooted bloc, and there were no bedding planes. Some gluing in the field. Additional prep will reveal more, but not much more. A number of lichid fragments were also found (not pictured). 

IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7499.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Only got out for about an hour. Forecast called for 10 minutes of light drizzle. Within about half a minute, the skies went black and it suddenly began hailing + sheets of cold rain + gale force winds + thunder/lightning. Visibility near zero. And, being the tallest object in a large field of rocks with no immediate cover, I needed to get out of the path of some opportunistic lightning bolt (none struck nearby, but it was risky).

Still, I managed in those precious seconds to perform a rescue operation. This echinolichine hypstome, just shy of 2 cm wide. Squishy as I was trudging back, I think it was worth it.  

IMG_7512.jpg

And here are all three lichid hypostomes collected from this location thus far: Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 4.47.51 PM.png

• I found this Informative 4

Superb, Kane you're a super Kane.:SlapHands:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Got back to my spot today after yesterday's attempt to visit the source about 40 minutes out of town turned out to be "no trespassing" bust. 

It's amazing the things you'll find when you're not looking for them... Big rostroconchs, what appears to be a large bivalve, and this large gastropod steinkern.

IMG_7523.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Mystrocephala stummi were showing up fairly regularly today. On the longer rock, you can see his buddy Pseudodechenella sp. 

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Seems comparable to Trypaulites sp. Perhaps the most complete example I've found (i.e., more than just a pygidium). That being said, it was at the natural edge of the rock because of course. :rolleyes:

IMG_7524.JPG

Lichid frags are getting harder to come by, but I have nearly a hundred samples now. :P 

A really crummily preserved hypostome and a bit of pygidium. 

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

They may not be pristine complete specimens, but they make up for that in being very uncommon species.  Hopefully I will be able to make a visit next time I am up your way, whenever that is.  I've heard travel restrictions might apply until there is a COVID-19 vaccine, which is 12-18 months away, if we are lucky.

Don

Nice finds! 

I particularly like those rostroconchs. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm hoping things will relax a bit by the time you're able to come up here, Don, as I do hope to have a few 'menu options" for site visits.  In terms of finding fragments, you're definitely right... I may be becoming spoiled on account of finding so many of them now!

Thanks, Adam. :) One way or another, some of these rostroconchs should make their way to Fes. ;) 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm hoping things will relax a bit by the time you're able to come up here, Don, as I do hope to have a few 'menu options" for site visits.  In terms of finding fragments, you're definitely right... I may be becoming spoiled on account of finding so many of them now!

Thanks, Adam. :) One way or another, some of these rostroconchs should make their way to Fes. ;) 

Thanks! 

One day................................:SlapHands:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What a nice, big gastropod!!!  Wow!  And I, too, like the rostroconchs - they're very cool-looking molluscs :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 3

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds! 

I particularly like those rostroconchs. :)

I, too, like them. The ones you sent me are beautiful.:Luck:

In memory of Doren

4 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

I, too, like them. The ones you sent me are beautiful.:Luck:

I didn't. :unsure:

I guess you mean Kane. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Seems the rostros are kind of popular. :D Thanks all. 

Well, this stuff is getting a bit tougher and leaner, but at least two bits to add, both sticky impressions. Another rare Echinolichas sp. pygidium, and A beat up Acanthopyge contusa hypostome. 

IMG_7533.jpg

fullsizeoutput_63a.jpeg

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I didn't. :unsure:

I guess you mean Kane. 

Yes, i meant Kane.:rolleyes:

In memory of Doren