2020 Ontario Trilobite Hunting

Kane

I've been fairly active in trying to prospect new spots. Of course, most of those will turn up to be false/dead leads.

We hit two locations today that were fairly useless. On our way back we stopped at one place for the view. Among the strewn stuff were some ok things, such as this group of Leptaena and these neat gastropods...

IMG_7556.JPG

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

But that was not going to be the winning spot. I spied something in the distance, which had such an abundance of material that I was truly overwhelmed. at first it was just brachs...

IMG_7561.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

And this one rock, a slab about a metre wide and long, and about 50 cm deep, was so full of brachs that it seemed more brach than matrix.

And some of them were huge. 

Oh, and rostroconchs. Zillions of them. 

IMG_7562.JPG

IMG_7563.JPG

IMG_7564.JPG

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7571.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

But this thread is about the trilobites! 

In this same rock was a bug bonanza.

Four species in the same rock. :default_faint:

And there is an incredible abundance of this material to get through... Out of the thousands of these rocks, I managed to get through just one. 

First of the four, and the most significant, Coronura aspectans :yay-smiley-1:Check out its pygidial “spokes”! :trilosurprise:

EDIT: in hindsight, after having a look at the plates in TONY, this may seem a better match for C. helena rather than C. aspectans. I'll have to page our Dr. Trilobite to give his diagnosis... @piranha

IMG_7565.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Of course, Pseudodechenella would appear quite often in this stuff, but so too did Anchiopsis anchiops:

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

The fourth species was only fragmentary, but hardly common in Ontario: frontal lobe denticle/margin of Odontocephalus sp. Two examples!

IMG_7566.JPG

Now, keep in mind this is just a single slab out of many thousands. This markup of an image from Lesperance and Bourque's paper indicates the three I found together cohabiting the same slab. I am over the moon!

I will definitely be going back there again. Soon!

IMG_7569.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Congratulations, Kane! 

Who knows what the future holds there...  ^_^

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Kane said:

EDIT: in hindsight, after having a look at the plates in TONY, this may seem a better match for C. helena rather than C. aspectans. I'll have to page our Dr. Trilobite to give his diagnosis... @piranha

IMG_7565.JPG

Coronura helena has weak to obsolete pygidial tubercles.  Because of the weathered preservation, I can't tell one way or the other mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo20.gif&t=1585786705&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c6d-ac0003011600&sig=u9YH0_9quDb9oVNmClb2Ow--~C eyepopping.gif  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1585786705&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c6d-ac0003011600&sig=fj.ci5Xqnl_qGALBqtMsyg--~C

image.png.a808bcb322ac1fd704c1ec15e90bab02.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks, Scott! I suppose that means I’ll have to find a better specimen! :hammer01:

On 2020-04-01 at 6:03 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations, Kane! 

Who knows what the future holds there...  ^_^

Aye, and that is what is truly exciting. I've barely scratched the proverbial surface. It's Onondaga time!

On 2020-04-01 at 8:46 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Great news!  The preservation of some of those is quite nice too!

Don

Thanks, Don. :) Some do come out quite crisp in detail while others, like the gastropods, only appear as steinkerns. 

On 2020-04-02 at 5:24 AM, Monica said:

The pygidium for Anchiopsis anchiops is beautiful! :wub:

Thanks. :) It certainly matches the handful I've found of this species in imported fill here in town, but that dried up a few years ago. The prospect of finding a complete example of this splendid dalmanitid is certainly worth many return trips. But, so too the other species, one of which has not been reported in Ontario since 1915 (Odontocephalus sp), which can join the few other species I've found in the last six months that have never been reported here, and only in equivalent strata. :trilosurprise:

Nice finds and certainly bodes well for the future.:)

One quibble :

15 hours ago, Kane said:

it was just brachs...

:o:angry:

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great finds as per ususal Kane. Glad you found a new spot to explore. You will get that complete Acanthopyge contusa eventually. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 2020-04-02 at 8:03 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds and certainly bodes well for the future.:)

One quibble :

:o:angry:

Sorry, I should correct that: "it was just spectacular brachs." :D I did take those big ones home instead of allowing the forces of nature to reclaim them. And, to be honest, I've never encountered so much diversity of brachiopods -- never a dull split!

On 2020-04-02 at 8:14 AM, Shamalama said:

Great finds as per ususal Kane. Glad you found a new spot to explore. You will get that complete Acanthopyge contusa eventually. ;)

I do hope so! Looking over the faunal inventory of the Onondaga, it is quite lengthy and includes a few lichids. :fingerscrossed:

14 hours ago, Kane said:

This markup of an image from Lesperance and Bourque's paper indicates the three I found together cohabiting the same slab.

Looks like you hit the jackpot! If all of this was from one slab out of thousands, and if it’s an indication of what’s to come, you are in for a real treat! 

Congrats on the great multi-block and the new, very productive, hunting grounds! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks, Wayne! I am positively giddy with anticipation. I may go back again tomorrow (and Saturday, if my missus is willing). 

Although this will not assist in drilling down to species level due to the pitted and weathered preservation of this specimen, it looks a bit better now that I've done some light scribing to reveal the spokes on the right side.

Pygidium is 4 cm long and about 5 cm wide (but truncated on the right side). It would have belonged to a specimen of about 10 cm, which is nowhere near the absolute limit for Coronura aspectans, with some recorded as being up to 50 cm long -- by far the biggest dalmanitid in this strata. 

IMG_7572.jpg

22 hours ago, Kane said:

But this thread is about the trilobites! 

In this same rock was a bug bonanza.

Four species in the same rock. :default_faint:

And there is an incredible abundance of this material to get through... Out of the thousands of these rocks, I managed to get through just one. 

First of the four, and the most significant, Coronura aspectans :yay-smiley-1:Check out its pygidial “spokes”! :trilosurprise:

IMG_7565.JPG

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Of course, Pseudodechenella would appear quite often in this stuff, but so too did Anchiopsis anchiops:

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

Awesome Kane, that pygidium is wonderful. The size of those brachs is stunning.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'll wait with great impatience.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Spent the better part of two days in my Onondaga material. Not every rock is filled with fossil riches, as I have discovered; some are blank + sandy or blank + cherty, and otherwise brutally hard to bust. Others are enormous sheets of brachiopods or even entire planes of rostroconch. 

Anyway, B is for brachiopod. The diversity is very high, so I am selective in what I bring home. A snap of what are about crabapple-sized ones, plus a typical brach-infused bedding plane with a large spirifer.

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7581.JPG

Rostroconchs galore + gastro steinkerns (and one tiny brach with both valves -- I pocketed a few of these if they were intact). But have a look at those large rostroconch. For as much as these are a bit of a nuisance in my layers, I was impressed with these ones.

IMG_7578.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7596.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Occasionally one encounters semi-hollow vugs with some lovely calcite crystal formation. Next to this battered rostroconch is some nice crystals.

Also picked up this oddball, which is likely a stromatoporoid with very pronounced mamelons. 

And, just to give an indication of how numerous the rostroconch can be, see how many you can count on this rock!

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

• I found this Informative 6