2020 Ontario Trilobite Hunting

Kane

And hello again Terataspis. I found a few much smaller fragments later on today that I didn't bring home. It's pretty neat to bump into this one so close to home!

So, there were examples of Bois Blanc, Amherstburg, Lucas, and Dundee formations all mixed together in a big Devonian salad. There is likely much more to be had as I only broke apart what was obvious. And that's my report. 

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

As usual, I love the Leptaena brachs and the calcite-encrusted nautiloid :wub::wub:

Congratulations on all of the trilo-bits, too - amazing stuff! :dinothumb:

Went back today, finding much of the same stuff including more Terataspis fragments. Called it early today after a piece of chert gashed through my glove and deep into my finger. 

But the highlight was this Terataspis hypostome, some of it still in matrix. It likely belonged to a juvenile as it is only as big as a thumbprint. 

IMG_7885.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

A nice 4 hour dig in the Bois Blanc in search of Terataspis

Deb found this fragment where a lot more is buried under the matrix.

IMG_7901.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

It is tricky stuff to work with. Whatever is visible on a surface has likely been eroded or chipped. Splitting the rocks does not abide by nice and neat planes. 

Some big, although sadly eroded, pieces. What appears to be part of a thorax, and half a pygidium.

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

These may not look like much, but two of these continue into the rock. The one pygidial spine does not likely continue. This will be a prep job to uncover a lot more.

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

And lastly, a big piece and a broken monster rock. The smaller one may continue further. I detect a glabella and a cheek.

The second one is in two pieces. A full "Terry" eludes me still, but perhaps I have got a bit closer. Note the outline on the first photo. This continue throughout much of the rock. I'll need to examine this more carefully to ascertain if it is in ventral position or if the glabella is just worn off. In the last photo where the break is, you can see a line that denotes the shell's continuation. This is usually how we discover them: as lines on the side, a little like Moroccan Devonian material. Under no circumstances would one try to tap it apart in the field because it will simply not separate nicely. That is a job for a scribe. 

So, these may not look like much, but they are buried. With a few rainy days ahead, I look forward to the long process of uncovering them. 

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7904.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Interesting.:)

I look forward to seeing the results, we know what good work you're capable of producing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like you had a good day. Weather was great today got the garden turned

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Interesting.:)

I look forward to seeing the results, we know what good work you're capable of producing. 

Thank you, Adam. :) I know those results may take some time even with some of the right tools. I hope it will be night and day compared to what appear to be just little bumps and stains!

15 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Looks like you had a good day. Weather was great today got the garden turned

It was definitely warm and sunny. It was the first time this season I was grateful for lugging water to the site. I'm still hoping phase one of reopening also includes hoboes with oboes. :P 

• I found this Informative 2

Haven't been able to get out for a while. Apart from a few Ordovician fragments just to say I bumped into a few of the species this year, nothing eye-popping. 

Just for continuity's sake, a Rusophycus from the Georgian Bay Fm. 

IMG_8038.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Just keeping the thread warm before (hopefully) some new spots to check out in the weeks to come.

Haven't been out much at all since June for a number of reasons: the heat, tapping out sites, some sites that have become permanently or temporarily inaccessible, and work (the need to pre-record all my lectures for the next academic year due to the pandemic).

I've been out... twice since June 13. First visit to a local spot on July 26 was a bust. Some Bois Blanc Fm bits: ventral fragment of Calymene platys, and a beat-up Burtonops butt. Not worth taking home.

IMG_8054.JPG

Not long after sunrise today, made my way out back to my Amherstburg/Lucas Fms material. A photo of the area I would be focusing on:

IMG_8059.JPG

I managed to dig up some of the buried bigger boulders for some splitting. There are probably at least 10-15 distinct types of bryozoan in this material, but this one occupied a lot of room. Other photo is a Crassiproetus glabella.

IMG_8061.JPG

fullsizeoutput_677.jpeg

Speaking of Crassis, fairly numerous pygidia today: 

IMG_8060.JPG

fullsizeoutput_678.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_679.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_67f.jpeg

Curiously more numerous than usual, some Mystrocephala and Trypaulites.

fullsizeoutput_67b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_67e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_680.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_682.jpeg

IMG_8077.JPG

Pseudodechenalla bits are far too common in this material, but here is an obligatory specimen. Also pictured here is a nice shell fossil I don't see as often, and not commonly complete.

fullsizeoutput_67c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_683.jpeg

At one point, I needed to relocate as a hive of hornets did not take kindly to my coming uninvited to their rock party. 

A good pair of eyes is needed to make some sense of the occasionally very busy chopped up hash layers. There is a lichid fragment in the first piece. The second photo is more Crassi, or possibly fossilized Devonian Doppler effect. :P 

fullsizeoutput_67d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_681.jpeg

It's interesting how sometimes one runs into pockets of more unusual species. 

I guess in that exact time, at that precise location, conditions were perfect for them. 

Or they all took their holidays together and there was a disaster, of course. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

And finally a much more clear example of lichid, Acanthopyge contusa.

fullsizeoutput_684.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_685.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The big bug hunt continued... 

With about 2,000 km of road over almost a week, we three collecting amigos prospected much of the Manitoulin area, following spots cited in the literature or encountering new ones, examining the lithology; armed with maps, articles, tools, adventure, and guts. Not always sure where we'd end the day, but never shy on beer, conversation, laughter, and camaraderie. 

Today is a recovery and report day. Much was found, even if some of our locations were overgrown, tapped out, too weathered, or even nonexistent. We did get exclusive access to some locations, not many of which were as productive as we hoped. Other spots were a complete surprise, as evidenced by some of our field finds. In all, we must have explored about 25 or more spots. 

Much of our finds were in the Ordovician, and particularly the Bobcaygeon Fm, which was different than how it manifests in south-central Ontario on account of the initial conditions being somewhat nearer shore and very high energy (so intact and fully articulated anything is not common). 

First up is this blurry photo I'll need to retake one I unpack the trip bags. This might be a complete Bumastoides milleri, on account of there showing two segments and the orientation into the rock. 

IMG_8141.JPG

This was a recently dug ditch location filled with fragments. The banded item was very common, and is a nautiloid. The partial cephalon with genal spine is possibly a fragment of Gabriceraurus dentatus. The star-shaped crinoidal item was just neat. And finally huge ostracods were quite numerous here.

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

IMG_8152.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Corals were fairly common in this material, as were Receptaculitids. Also pictured here are two other nautiloids.

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8150.JPG

• I found this Informative 4