Nice piece. Are you going to prep it all the way out of the matrix or are you leaving it in?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Nice piece. Are you going to prep it all the way out of the matrix or are you leaving it in?

Prepped it out already it now in an archival box. right next to it is a large coprolite which also was prepped out.

Whale Skull (Basicranium) 
and associated Periodic
From the Potomac River
Collected in a fallen block
Quote from an email From Dr. Robert E Weems who sent off the matrix to get tested to determine what Formation it came from. "The baleen whale basicranium has a dinoflora indicative of dinozone DN5b, which is Shattuck zones 14 and 15 in the Calvert Cliffs and also includes what I am calling Shattuck zone 15b at Westmoreland and Wakefield.  The flora suggests the locality was pretty far from shore (30-50 miles), so that probably puts it in Shattuck zone 15 and equivalent to the horizon exposed at Carmel Church quarry.  Its formal unit designation is the upper part of the Plum Point Member of the Calvert Formation." 

Matrix is Important half a Sick of butter worth of matrix can be tested to determine age and formation of a fossil.

20180730_230728~3.jpg

This is a quote from Bobby Bossenecker on the potential ID of the Whale Species. "the periotic is very well preserved, and it bears some similarities to "Tiphyocetus" from the middle Miocene of California; I've not really seen anything terribly similar from the Chesapeake Group before, to be honest. It is quite different from Parietobalaena, Diorocetus, and Aglaocetus. One wrinkle is that it is probably a juvenile (judging from the dorsal side of the periotic and the unfused squamosal-parietal suture)"

IMG_20190705_230037123.jpg

IMG_20190705_230107934.jpg

Piece's all prepped out and assembled to the best of my ability. Bones have been rounded and we're Disarticulated. The right  Orbital Bone is in pieces and will not fit together unless I reconstruct the missing edges and pieces. 

IMG_20200304_222743102_HDR.jpg