Tiny bird-like dinosaur

snolly50

• I found this Informative 11

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Amazing discovery!! Always enjoy learning about these new dino-bird studies :)  

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Given that both Oculudentavis and Fukuipteryx are recovered as basal avialans more primitive than Jeholornis, it is unclear if Oculudentavis had a pygostyle like Fukuipteryx due to only skull material being preserved, and further research ought to see if some non-pygostylian avialans had a pygostyle, because Jeholornis, Jixiangornis, and Yandangornis had long tails like Archaeopteryx.

• I found this Informative 2

Mickey Mortimer from the Theropod Database blogspot recently wrote an interesting post about this discovery, saying that certain traits about its skull indicate that it was likely a strange lepidosaur rather than a bird. Check it out- 

http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.com/2020/03/oculudentavis-is-not-theropod.html

6 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Mickey Mortimer from the Theropod Database blogspot recently wrote an interesting post about this discovery, saying that certain traits about its skull indicate that it was likely a strange lepidosaur rather than a bird. Check it out- 

http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.com/2020/03/oculudentavis-is-not-theropod.html

I like her blogs and she apparently got it right here with the responses she received from notable paleontologists supporting her claim.  Kudos to an amateur paleontologist showing that everything published is not always spot on.  Seen that before :).  Will be interesting to see if the authors, Nature or other paleontologist formally respond.  Its created  lots of news and would be a black eye to the publication 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a study from a Chinese team who disagree with the first study that classified Oculudentavis as a bird.

This paper cast a shadow on the original study.

Here are some additional link to understand why there are a problems with the original National Geographic article.

2020.03.16.993949v2.full.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

1 hour ago, David in Japan said:

Here is a study from a Chinese team who disagree with the first study that classified Oculudentavis as a bird.

This paper cast a shadow on the original study.

Here are some additional link to understand why there are a problems with the original National Geographic article.

Sorry David, no links at all showing for me. :shakehead:

Hope you are well, my friend.

Stay safe. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sorry David, no links at all showing for me. :shakehead:

Hope you are well, my friend.

Stay safe. 

We are fine thank you, Hope you are doing well too!

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.16.993949v2.full.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Well, that seems like a big woopsie.

Still a fantastic specimen though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite