looking to give fossils in return for paraloid and acetone

Notidanodon

hi guys i need to stabilise quite a lot of sth stuff at the moment so am need of quite a bit of paraloid b-72 and acetone, maybe 200g paraloid and 500 g acetone, im not quite sure on what ratio to use so any help/advice would be great, in return, ask for any kid of fossil, i have quite a wide variety that i can offer

I can't help you with the paraloid, but you can pick up acetone at almost any hardware/outfitting store. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

Nail polish remover is acetone also

You are better off getting the pure stuff at the hardware. Polish remover generally may contain a lot of additives  ( fragrance, skin softeners, and sometimes water, etc ). None of which you want in the mix.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

hi guys i need to stabilise quite a lot of sth stuff at the moment so am need of quite a bit of paraloid b-72 and acetone, maybe 200g paraloid and 500 g acetone, im not quite sure on what ratio to use so any help/advice would be great, in return, ask for any kid of fossil, i have quite a wide variety that i can offer

What are you offering for the Paraloid?

From what I've seen a 1 to 50 ratio of paraloid to acetone based on weight is ideal.

Just now, Carboniferouspat said:

I believe they stopped putting acetone in nail polish remover ,it’s a carcinogen.

Many nail polish removers still have acetone in them, some are pure acetone at which point they can be used for any purpose. 

49 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You are better off getting the pure stuff at the hardware. Polish remover generally may contain a lot of additives  ( fragrance, skin softeners, and sometimes water, etc ). None of which you want in the mix.

26 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

From what I've seen a 1 to 50 ratio of paraloid to acetone based on weight is ideal.

Many nail polish removers still have acetone in them, some are pure acetone at which point they can be used for any purpose. 

Many of the stores around me sell 100% pure acetone nail polish removers. And they will list it as such on the bottle. You do need to check the ingredients list just to make sure. And in the amounts I use it’s easier for me to pick it up there. ( mainly becuase I work in the automotive shop of one of them)

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

fragrance

What are you trying to say Doren? You want stinky fossils? I don't, I want my to smell nice. LOL

Hmm, if they are stinky, theres a good chance they may not be fossils just yet...especially if there are a lot of flies buzzing around them! ;)

3 hours ago, Carboniferouspat said:

carcinogen

There is no correlation between contact with acetone and cancer, it is not a carcinogen.

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

100% pure acetone nail polish removers

This is not uncommon but I feel like the ones marketed as nail polish remover will be marked up a lot more than the stuff at department stores, especially if it is in small quantities.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

What are you offering for the Paraloid?

Any type of fossil you want

9 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Any type of fossil you want

You may want to post some examples of what you have rather than making such a bold statement.  It may inspire more interest in a trade instead of having to playing the  "I want this"..."oh sorry, I don't have that" game.

I'm sure you're not going to want to trade just anything you have including your most prized pieces for a baggie of Paraloid chips.

Or maybe you would! :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 3

I can give European ammonites,echinoids,brachiopods, plants, British minerals and sharks teeth from around the world

An old British friend of mine told me he couldn't get acetone in the UK. He was under the assumption it was illegal. this was in the early 90s though.

On 13/03/2020 at 3:03 AM, caldigger said:

Got any mammal stuff?

I do have Some yes, I will PM you tomorrow when I can take pics, what types are you interested in

On 3/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Plax said:

An old British friend of mine told me he couldn't get acetone in the UK. He was under the assumption it was illegal. this was in the early 90s though.

I did a little reading on this subject and apparently Acetone along with many other chemicals have been put on a list of items in the UK that are potential terrorist usage.

There is a ban from over the counter sales unless you hold a government issued permit for purchasing. 

This includes nail polish remover and Hydrogen Peroxide as well.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, Plax said:

paraloid is soluble in alcohol, although it takes a little longer to dry.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

I did a little reading on this subject and apparently Acetone along with many other chemicals have been put on a list of items in the UK that are potential terrorist usage.

There is a ban from over the counter sales unless you hold a government issued permit for purchasing. 

You can easily buy nail polish remover with acetone in all the big supermarkets and I’ve never had trouble purchasing it (without a permit). Could be an old rule maybe? :)

Also, I own some paraloid but it always forms a useless lump at the bottom of the acetone which solidifies into a strange white substance as soon as it’s taken out. Does anyone know why this happens?

Just now, Pterygotus said:

Also, I own some paraloid but it always forms a useless lump at the bottom of the acetone which solidifies into a strange white substance as soon as it’s taken out. Does anyone know why this happens?

On 12/03/2020 at 12:47 AM, caldigger said:

This could be why.

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

You can get it on online very easily  , are you telling me that’s illegal? If so sorry I didn’t realise:DOH:

The articles only referred to "over the counter" sales

( brick and mortar stores ).

I can't speak for other means.

6 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

sounds like somethings contaminated.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin