Tidgy's Dad

Love the brachipods from Oglesby. I have a few myself, but yours are monsters!:)

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of your Mazon Creek nodules. 

digit

That's a lot to pack into one day--but if one day is what you got, then you made the most of it!

For your unopened Mazon Creek concretions, soak them for at least a week or so in an effort to get them well saturated. Then pop them in the freezer overnight to let the expansion of freezing water do the work. Thaw them and see if any have popped open. If not, give them a couple more days of soaking and repeat as necessary. After a few rounds you might consider tapping lightly around the edge to see if you can "entice" a concretion to pop.

Cheers.

-Ken

FossilNerd

Sounds like one heck of a whirlwind road trip, but looks like you got some good finds. Thanks for posting! :) 

Al Tahan

Very solid outing!! Big fan of the crinoid hash and I see the mazon is still giving to those who keep preserving. Those big brachs are lookers as well :rolleyes:

deutscheben

Thanks for the report! You hit up a couple of my favorite hunting spots here in Illinois, and I'm glad to see you made some nice finds at each. The giant productid brachiopod is very impressive, I love finding those. 

Monica

I agree with Adam - the brachiopods are especially awesome!!!

connorp

Yup, you hit the classic NW Illinois spots. Nice that you got to visit before moving. If you have more free time, hit me up and I’d be happy to share another site or two that are a bit closer.

Mark Kmiecik
14 hours ago, connorp said:

Yup, you hit the classic NW Illinois spots.

Northeast.