Double Decker Sifter

hokietech96

Hi. This double decker sifter was inspired after spending the day with @Searcher78 looking for teeth at Flag Point and also seeing all is cool small teeth from Douglas Point. I have made you normal size 1/4 inch sifter and a made a smaller 1/4 sifter 12x11. I decided to add another sifter underneath the 1/4 inch to catch the smaller teeth. Because I am limited for time with 3 hour drives from NJ to MD I can empty the tray in the bucket and take it home to search or pick through there. Just thinking out loud. Haha. Anyway the theory is there. Hope it works. 
045098CC-9C94-45A7-9127-744D9F9D4EEB.jpeg.c4300d2d669ca5fc91c3c7e910f39ed0.jpegAB5A0273-A8FD-40B3-AC28-4F8C1B7D6848.jpeg.f69c35d9e4324fa8f7299d07926b7e06.jpeg17D8CDB9-8305-4045-A167-B6427DE60E03.jpeg.de8d5e473fb9ee40e2553badb5a2e28f.jpeg820C7BE3-9CD7-42A8-9BD2-0C9069F4CFA7.jpeg.5075f58ff6b31ab755c4cc0909fda839.jpeg8C54510D-A88C-4A2F-93AB-8646E14673A7.jpeg.4bbf2f31ac8c5248d98be811273cd102.jpegE0E8D9E3-48E8-4276-ACC9-153594944B67.jpeg.07350bba52e20affdbf166bfd03a30fb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

No reason for it not to work.

Much fancier than something I could slap together. I use a two sifter set up when screening for minis and micros.  I have several of the stackable bucket plastic screens from my prospecting antics.

The only thing I can see that might be problmatic in your set up is the top 1/4" appears to be hinged/ attached to the smaller screen below which may become awkward to hold while trying to control the pouring of the smaller stuff from the lower screen into a bucket.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

37 minutes ago, caldigger said:

No reason for it not to work.

Much fancier than something I could slap together. I use a two sifter set up when screening for minis and micros.  I have several of the stackable bucket plastic screens from my prospecting antics.

The only thing I can see that might be problmatic in your set up is the top 1/4" appears to be hinged/ attached to the smaller screen below which may become awkward to hold while trying to control the pouring of the smaller stuff from the lower screen into a bucket.

Are you suggestion replacing the hinges with something like clasps so it detaches into two separate pieces?  I can modify it if it is not efficient. Or just just make a new. Thanks for your input. 

My process right now is to walk the shore first and do a visual search first. (How I found the Otodus and Croc Teeth) Then I use my small-holed sifter to find the small teeth. (How I found the Angel and Hound shark teeth) Your sifter looks great. When you perfect your process, I may have to copy you.

2 hours ago, Searcher78 said:

My process right now is to walk the shore first and do a visual search first. (How I found the Otodus and Croc Teeth) Then I use my small-holed sifter to find the small teeth. (How I found the Angel and Hound shark teeth) Your sifter looks great. When you perfect your process, I may have to copy you.

This is my same process when hunting at Douglass generally

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Mark, will this unit be attached to a stand at all? 

I just feel when you finish sifting the top tray and want to empty it,  you will be having a struggle fighting your unit to dump the top out while retaining the contents of the lower tray. 

Then having a hard time holding open the top all while attempting to pour the smaller contents into a container.

If I were you, the top tray should be configured to lift off and be put aside while you conduct your business with the lower screen.

Otherwise you are trying to deal with both trays at once and with only two hands that might be rather difficult.

Could you make it so the top tray nests in the bottom so you can just lift it off when the time comes for working on the bottom?

Just a note from experience, if this unit is not held up on a stand of sorts, you will be having to hold it and all the heavy contents off the ground time after time while shaking it.. You will learn quite quickly just how tiring this can get on your arms.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

27 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Mark, will this unit be attached to a stand at all? 

I just feel when you finish sifting the top tray and want to empty it,  you will be having a struggle fighting your unit to dump the top out while retaining the contents of the lower tray. 

Then having a hard time holding open the top all while attempting to pour the smaller contents into a container.

If I were you, the top tray should be configured to lift off and be put aside while you conduct your business with the lower screen.

Otherwise you are trying to deal with both trays at once and with only two hands that might be rather difficult.

Could you make it so the top tray nests in the bottom so you can just lift it off when the time comes for working on the bottom?

Just a note from experience, if this unit is not held up on a stand of sorts, you will be having to hold it and all the heavy contents off the ground time after time while shaking it.. You will learn quite quickly just how tiring this can get on your arms.

All really good points. I kind of planned for this in my head. That is why i used my smaller sifter to add my tray and not my larger sifter. I usually get one to maybe 2 shovel into the smaller sifter and then 4 in the larger. I think like anything it’s a work in progress and I can make changes as I go. Thanks for the valuable feedback. 

3 hours ago, Searcher78 said:

What are the size of the small holes?

31807B5A-C939-4CB5-85C8-A44CE39FF8F1.jpeg.f1fbc7a5810c1f67c210bd4e675ea899.jpeg

found it at Home Depot in the plumbing section. Something to cover something. No idea. Maybe old school heating radiators in homes. Anyway it came in a 3’x3’ sheet. I have plenty left over if you want some I’ll bring next time I see you. 

Did you angle the sides for scooping? Looks great, but I would just put another latch on the end with the hinges (remove the hinges).  I agree that the bottom should be easily removed.

23 minutes ago, Searcher78 said:

Did you angle the sides for scooping? Looks great, but I would just put another latch on the end with the hinges (remove the hinges).  I agree that the bottom should be easily removed.

That is an easy enough fix.  I am concerned doing that because i think it would not be secure enough with 2 latches.  I think it would need more so it does not fall off; one on each side.  Then it would be a time consuming and pain lining them up to re-latch.  I have to give this version at least version at least one test run.  Or i can just make another one.  Glad I posted this.  Some great ideas.  

Your box looks nice, and I would drill four 4 matching holes and insert either pieces of up to 1/4 inch brass rods in the bottom or split roll pins from a hardware store assortment box. you can put like lipstick on top of them then transfer the locations to drill the top. I would consider hinges with out the pins and use clevis pins that you can pull out. they have the loops that hold them in place. likely from a Tractor Supply store. most hinges have drive out pins with a thin flat punch our you may need to file off one end first. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Your box looks nice, and I would drill four 4 matching holes and insert either pieces of up to 1/4 inch brass rods in the bottom or split roll pins from a hardware store assortment box. you can put like lipstick on top of them then transfer the locations to drill the top. I would consider hinges with out the pins and use clevis pins that you can pull out. they have the loops that hold them in place. likely from a Tractor Supply store. most hinges have drive out pins with a thin flat punch our you may need to file off one end first. 

The pins are a great idea.  Then I can take the hinges off and replace that side with the same clasp from the other side.  That would work perfect.  the pins would keep it secure and limit the number of clasps.  

I've seen about as many different sifting screen styles as there are fossil hunters using them. Many different approaches to get at the same goal of collecting material between two different mesh sizes. I'll just toss in my two cents to show how I have solved this problem. I use two stacked sifting screens. Mine have pool noodles attached to provide buoyancy when used in deeper water like the Peace River. They easily stack on each other and I use a 1/4" screen on the upper sifter to remove the larger material. The bottom sifter is either a 1/4" or 1/2" screen--makes no difference as I insert a large piece of window screen (approximately 1/16" mesh) to catch the finer material while letting most of the sand pass through. I can easily lift out this screen and roll the material around to flush out more sand before dumping the micro-matrix into a waiting collection bucket.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/51286-collecting-cookiecutter-shark-micro-matrix/

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I would not use them in wet areas but I have a set of graduated round screens up to micro mesh as used in grain elevators to sift wheat or grains. My fossil dig site is mostly sand from a now 12 foot deep farm pond, and I plan to do a lot of screening. Dug with a crane with a drag not jaws. 

29 minutes ago, digit said:

I've seen about as many different sifting screen styles as there are fossil hunters using them. Many different approaches to get at the same goal of collecting material between two different mesh sizes. I'll just toss in my two cents to show how I have solved this problem. I use two stacked sifting screens. Mine have pool noodles attached to provide buoyancy when used in deeper water like the Peace River. They easily stack on each other and I use a 1/4" screen on the upper sifter to remove the larger material. The bottom sifter is either a 1/4" or 1/2" screen--makes no difference as I insert a large piece of window screen (approximately 1/16" mesh) to catch the finer material while letting most of the sand pass through. I can easily lift out this screen and roll the material around to flush out more sand before dumping the micro-matrix into a waiting collection bucket.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/51286-collecting-cookiecutter-shark-micro-matrix/

Cheers.

-Ken

Well that is a simple and efficient solution!

2 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Well that is a simple and efficient solution!

As a former computer programmer simple and efficient was my stock in trade. ;)

I keep adapting and improving every time I make new sifters or repair old ones.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 minutes ago, digit said:

As a former computer programmer simple and efficient was my stock in trade. ;)

I keep adapting and improving every time I make new sifters or repair old ones.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks.  That is what I will end up doing.

old, pre zip codes in mid 1960's. I added this under my microscope collection file. 

Sieve 
THE TYLER STANDARD SCREEN SCALE 
THE W. S. TYLER SCREEN COMPANY
CLEAVLAND OHIO 
( U. S. SERIES EQUIVALENT 8)
OPENING .093 IN 2.362 MM 
MEASURES TO THE INCH 8 

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 7:52 AM, hokietech96 said:

That is an easy enough fix.  I am concerned doing that because i think it would not be secure enough with 2 latches.  I think it would need more so it does not fall off; one on each side.  Then it would be a time consuming and pain lining them up to re-latch.  I have to give this version at least version at least one test run.  Or i can just make another one.  Glad I posted this.  Some great ideas.  

I was inspired by your images and made a double decker like yours, and just used one latch on each side, instead of a hinge.  It works great!  I used gatehouse draw hasps from lowes.

I must say,  yours is a lot prettier than mine!

2 hours ago, aplomado said:

I was inspired by your images and made a double decker like yours, and just used one latch on each side, instead of a hinge.  It works great!  I used gatehouse draw hasps from lowes.

I must say,  yours is a lot prettier than mine!

Thanks. Can I see a post a pic of yours. I would like to see your hasps

Here is what I used:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-2-4-25-in-Zinc-Decorative-Hasps/1000415103

Searching for "draw latch" and "toggle clamp" will show alternatives...

I used 1/8 hardware cloth on the bottom sifter.  I'm interested to hear about how your bottom layer works, I haven't seen that style screen.

Thanks for the idea!

double decker 1.jpg

double decker 2.jpg

17 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Here is what I used:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-2-4-25-in-Zinc-Decorative-Hasps/1000415103

Searching for "draw latch" and "toggle clamp" will show alternatives...

I used 1/8 hardware cloth on the bottom sifter.  I'm interested to hear about how your bottom layer works, I haven't seen that style screen.

Thanks for the idea!

double decker 1.jpg double decker 2.jpg

I like it.  Like that it separates.  My thought with my latch is just slide it over and dump it in a bucket to bring home.  I usually only can get 3 to 4 hours when I get out so I want to be as efficient as possible.  I might have to make some modifications. 

I actually was bored at home because of the virus when I made mine so I actually still have not used it.  Hopefully it will be soon.  I wanted something durable for the second layer.  Sometimes I tend to overthink things so we will see if it all works.  I will keep you updated.