Double Decker Sifter

hokietech96

Boredom and the excess time to think over-think, and rethink again often results in novel designs. We need to see trip reports when these sifters see actual use and hear their good and bad points. Remember that what gets posted here becomes part of the greater archive of knowledge and may help future (or current) members who wish to collect micro-matrix and are considering what to use for equipment. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

We took our double decker sifter out yesterday to the creek.

Typically, we would get nothing interesting in the 1/4 inch screen and 5-10 fossils in the 1/8 screen! 

Mostly partial or very small shark teeth, but we did get a tiny jaw fragment with a tooth in it, and a miniscule fish vert.  Other stuff too, but mostly small teeth.

Every sifter full we processed had multiple fossils in the 1/8 screen.

This really is the way to go, as it looks like most of the stuff at our sites is small.

The latches we used probably should be a little more beefy, the metal on one of them got a little bent and I will have to straighten it out with pliers.  There probably are tougher latches for sale.  There are "toggle latches" on our favorite auction site and the rainforest store that look like they may be stronger.  I may look into them.

You need to use draw-latches to quickly and securely attach and remove the layers.

draw.jpg

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

3 hours ago, aplomado said:

Every sifter full we processed had multiple fossils in the 1/8 screen.

This really is the way to go, as it looks like most of the stuff at our sites is small.

Sounds like collecting micro-matrix from that site with a loose piece of window screen in the lower sifter might yield some interesting micro-fossils when picked through back home. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

22 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

You need to use draw-latches to quickly and securely attach and remove the layers.

draw.jpg

Yeah, I am using something similar.  Just the brand I am using doesn't appear to be super tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I made another sifter using these latches (2 total for one):

https://www.amazon.com/abrazaderas-ajustables-capacidad-sujeción-Pestillo/dp/B083GQLBJN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=toggle+latch&qid=1591231632&sr=8-3

I used it today.  It worked well, and seemed a stronger product than the lowes latches (plus cheaper).

I did add lock washers and nuts to stop the central "screw" part from unscrewing accidentally... I would recommend that.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

It might be easier to make them fit into one another and put a handle on the bottom larger frame with the smallest mesh.

the smallest mesh I use is the mesh from a security door / window screen.

Mike

On 6/19/2020 at 6:05 PM, Mike from North Queensland said:

It might be easier to make them fit into one another and put a handle on the bottom larger frame with the smallest mesh.

the smallest mesh I use is the mesh from a security door / window screen.

Mike

I think it is beneficial to have the top box be the largest, as that is where the pebbles are dumped... the bottom try can be thinner, as it doesn't get so much material.

I agree it would be better if to make them nested together... that is a bit beyond my crafting skills that the moment though.  

It works well as it is.  The only drawback I can see is that is pretty heavy.

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

I think it is beneficial to have the top box be the largest, as that is where the pebbles are dumped... the bottom try can be thinner, as it doesn't get so much material.

I agree it would be better if to make them nested together... that is a bit beyond my crafting skills that the moment though.  

It works well as it is.  The only drawback I can see is that is pretty heavy.

You can make them nest easily.  Just install wood or metal slats to the inside of the upper level sides.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

13 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

You can make them nest easily.  

Perhaps if you saw my other woodworking projects you might change your mind...

20 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

You can make them nest easily.  Just install wood or metal slats to the inside of the upper level sides.  

When you say “nest” the top would fit in to the larger one in the bottom but how would you attach them. I also think where you spend most if you’re time looking dictates how your going to design it. I need the bottom to be attached to the top in some way. The latches seem to be the best option. I guess I’m not picturing how the will be attached securely being nested.  

4 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

When you say “nest” the top would fit in to the larger one in the bottom but how would you attach them. I also think where you spend most if you’re time looking dictates how your going to design it. I need the bottom to be attached to the top in some way. The latches seem to be the best option. I guess I’m not picturing how the will be attached securely being nested.  

No, I'm using "nesting" as a relative term here.  I was referring to keeping the same parallel boxes that latch together just like they are, but adding a thin "plate" of material to the inside of either the top or bottom layer to act as a lip.