Ceratopsidae indet. from Niobrara Formation

Dino9876

Hello,

I've put teeth here for Id a couple of times and always received a satisfactory answer. I hope you can help me this time too.

It is about this Ceratopsidae tooth from the Niobrara Formationn (Wyoming). Unfortunately no fossils of this group are known from this formation and I therefore wanted to ask you if you have any idea what species of dinosaurs the tooth could belong to. The tooth is 1,5cm in size.

I hope if you can help me with this!

Best regards from Germany!

Ceratopsidae Niobrara Formation.png

• I found this Informative 1

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

This is certainly a ceratopsian tooth.. .quite worn. If it is from Wyoming, it probably comes from the Lance Formation.  Most of the Lance Formation outcrops here are in Niobrara County.  Do you see where I am going?   I would feel comfortable calling it Ceratopsian form the Lance Fm in Niobrara County, WY.  I think it got just slightly mislabeled between the find and the final sale. 

• I found this Informative 5

32 minutes ago, jpc said:

This is certainly a ceratopsian tooth.. .quite worn. If it is from Wyoming, it probably comes from the Lance Formation.  Most of the Lance Formation outcrops here are in Niobrara County.  Do you see where I am going?   I would feel comfortable calling it Ceratopsian form the Lance Fm in Niobrara County, WY.  I think it got just slightly mislabeled between the find and the final sale. 

Thank your for the answer! But I know the seller very well and he said that the tooth definitely comes from the extreme southeast of Wyoming, where the Niobrara Formation is.

34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a more specific location where this tooth came from?  Additional photos.  

Thank you for our answer! The tooth comes from south of the city Lusk in Wyoming

Here is a photo from the other side of the tooth.

Ceratopsidae Niobrara Formation 2.png

Lusk is Niobrara County.  Its definitely  Lance Formation.  Agree Ceratopsian tooth, Triceratops or Torosaurus sp.

• I found this Informative 6

This makes me wonder about the dealer... 

a) Niobrara County, not Fm

b)Lance Fm not Niobrara Fm 

c) There is no Niobrara Fm in extreme southeastern WY

d) there is no Lance Fm south of Lusk until you get to the next county.  

e) There is tons of lance Fm north of Lusk, which is most certainly where this came from. 

f) anyone who calls Lusk a city has never been there (I love Lusk)

I would be wary of this dealer's knowledge of details.  Not meaning to insult your forend, but if I was talking to him/her face to face, yes, I would call them on this. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

e) There is tons of lance Fm north of Lusk, which is most certainly where this came from. 

I would be wary of this dealer's knowledge of details.  Not meaning to insult your forend, but if I was talking to him/her face to face, yes, I would call them on this. 

I have to protect him a bit, the seller only stated "South of Lusk". I wanted to find out which formation the tooth comes from and came across the Niobrara formation, which according to some maps on Google was right there. That is why the question arose for me. And I'm from Germany, so I don't know anything special of Lusk. 

Best regards

1 hour ago, Dino9876 said:

I have to protect him a bit, the seller only stated "South of Lusk". I wanted to find out which formation the tooth comes from and came across the Niobrara formation, which according to some maps on Google was right there. That is why the question arose for me. And I'm from Germany, so I don't know anything special of Lusk. 

Best regards

Fair enough.  In any case it is a nice tooth.  

9 hours ago, jpc said:

I've been through lusk, couldnt tell you a dang thing about it!  I think it was a wide spot in the road. LOL

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

it is s alittle more than that, but yes, itis a friendly small town of 1000 people with the best pizza in the state.  

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

it is s alittle more than that, but yes, itis a friendly small town of 1000 people with the best pizza in the state.  

Neat town stayed there when I collected in the Lance but Newcastle was my go to place to stay.