Crabs - Worth prepping?

Ruger9a

While I was on the crab topic I also found three nodules that I popped but didn't want to take the chance prepping due to their size.  Are these small crabs worth prepping in the condition they are in?  

20200308_163903 (2).jpg

20200308_164004 (2).jpg

20200308_164025 (2).jpg

they look good so far.  These would need to be prepped with a small airscribe under a binocular microscope.  These are not an oreodont skull.  : )

Thanks jpc.  You're right the matrix is very hard.  Not sure if I want to take the chance since I messed one (originally had four) up already.  If they are worthy I may just donate them to TFF and let an expert turn them into  - - something better than I could do.  

Are these small crab nodules worthy of a TFF donation?  I believe I will only mess them up trying to prep them.

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Are these small crab nodules worthy of a TFF donation?  I believe I will only mess them up trying to prep them.

Sure! Anything is worthy to someone. But these look pretty good so they should appeal to a wide range of us!

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, jpc said:

yes, they are worthy.  Put them up for auction. Where are they from? 

From the back of a drawer in one of my unidentified cabinets.....:-(   I know you didn't want to hear that, but that's all the information I have.  I was going through a crab phase back in the late 90's early 00s when I "thought" I could prep one.  After trying one, I gave up and stuck the rest of them in a small cabinet in the back of my shop.  When I used to travel frequently, I would pass time on the weekends by visiting estate sales, yard sales, flea markets and antique shops where I would sometimes find unlabeled fossils.  Most of the time, the sellers knew nothing about them.  I would just box them up and send them home for later research, hence the need for my unidentified cabinets.   But some I never got to, these are some of them.  They're really neat, smaller fossils that I feel should be prepped (just not by me) and displayed.  I think they are Dakoticancer australis, but that's more of a guess.  I know how to donate cash to the forum but nothing related to donating/auctioning fossils.  Can you provide some assistance?

The first question is are you wanting the money to go to the forum? If so then all you need to do is start a post in the auctions to support the forum section. Then whoever wins sends the money to the forum, the forum admins notify you, and then you send the fossils to the winner. Easy peasy. Or I have seen where you would make a set price for them then the same thing happens. Someone post the I’ll take it, you confirm they were first, they send money to the forum etc

10 hours ago, Randyw said:

The first question is are you wanting the money to go to the forum? If so then all you need to do is start a post in the auctions to support the forum section. Then whoever wins sends the money to the forum, the forum admins notify you, and then you send the fossils to the winner. Easy peasy. Or I have seen where you would make a set price for them then the same thing happens. Someone post the I’ll take it, you confirm they were first, they send money to the forum etc

Thanks Randy.  Yes, I will be donating the crab nodules to the forum, so all proceeds will go to it.  I think an auction would be better than a set price, don't you?  It lets the market set the value, so to speak.  I noticed the seller pays all shipping fees for forum auction items, that can be expensive for overseas locations.  Can I restrict the auction to the contiguous USA?  I may be getting this confused with the rolling auctions, not sure.

3 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks Randy.  Yes, I will be donating the crab nodules to the forum, so all proceeds will go to it.  I think an auction would be better than a set price, don't you?  It lets the market set the value, so to speak.  I noticed the seller pays all shipping fees for forum auction items, that can be expensive for overseas locations.  Can I restrict the auction to the contiguous USA?  I may be getting this confused with the rolling auctions, not sure.

As I understand it, the auctioneer decides on shipping fees. You can limit the auction to a certain region, some say they will pay the first so many dollars of any postage, or that they'll pay for shipping in the 48 and half to anywhere else, or that all postage should be paid by the auction winner etc. You decide. 

The thing is, if you put limits on the countries involved, you may get fewer bidders, especially as those from other countries or continents may not have access to certain specimens so may pay more than someone who can obtain these more local specimens comparatively easily.   

But it's entirely up to you. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks, I won't restrict it then, but will only pay $5.95.  I'll work on it this afternoon.

OK folks.  I have done as recommended and created a forum benefit auction for these little beauties under the title "Forum Auction R9A-1, Crab nodules, unprepped". Please let me know if I've missed something?