Colorado is giving up the goods.

joshuajbelanger

One of the great things about being a geologist in Colorado is that I get to see a lot of places most people don't.  How I see it, when I'm not in the office...and trust me there is more armchair time than there is field time, but when I'm not in the office, I'm being paid to scout new fossil locations. The company is just lucky I have a GPS in my company truck!  But to be honest, they are totally cool with me taking detours...I digress. One day I was driving to BFE for work, and noticed something beautiful in the background.  I thought to myself, that looks deliciously fossiliferous.  It took a bit of leg work and schmoozing, but I was able to gain access to this parcel of land.

My initial thoughts and research were correct, we immediately began to find chunks of fossilized bone.  Soon, we had found a large portion of Oligiocene turtle. We could only spend a few hours there the first day, but at least now I knew I was on to something HOT.

Being the awesome, handsome, and extremely nice guy that I am, I offered to take a number of colleagues out for fossil hunting.  I work with a million geologists, and the odd thing about geologists is that most of them are only into minerals, not fossils(lucky for me)  Two of my closer friends accepted the offer, and we were off! It wasn't long before one found a large portion of tortoise shell and the other an oreodont jaw.  I only found a bison :(  But it is fine, I spent most of my time helping those guys extract and preserve their finds.  To be honest, I was treating it like another scouting trip. 

Anyway, I'm currently prepping the tortoise, and have already prepped the jaw.  As soon as the snows fully melt, I will have my hands full.  I'm super stoked about this location.  Here are some pics.

HH all.

-JIMG_2676.jpg.fd891b8ec146f9748ea61216b71c414d.jpg 

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

RenderedContent-5D670219-599F-4AB9-970D-7B06CAEC5821.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

Oh yeah, I posted a pic of my truck because it looks like the perfect Tacoma add!

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like you may have found a goldmine - I mean fossil mine.  Good luck on your future discoveries.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for sharing. 

Finding  a new productive location is always great. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

looks like a wonderful spot! congrats on your vigilance paying off.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Color me jealous! Looks like an awesome spot man, congrats! I would have taken you up on it if I was in that vicinity but I haven’t been doing much since I broke my leg. I can finally get out and go collecting and metal detecting because I got the okay from the doctor yesterday! Thank for sharing man :) 

Looks like big sky country there. I bet it gets dark at night. Should be a good place for dual-purpose trips. Do an overnighter - hunt fossils during the day, and do some astrophotography at night.

42 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

Looks like big sky country there. I bet it gets dark at night. Should be a good place for dual-purpose trips. Do an overnighter - hunt fossils during the day, and do some astrophotography at night.

Yeah.  Once the weather gets a little nicer, I’m going to camp out there.  It really is beautiful 

• Nice finds once again Joshua :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!