Went Hunting in a Cardboard Box!!!

RJB

A guy I bumped into several years ago came by my house about 3 months ago and dropped off a box for me.  He knew I was into fossils and he said he was cleaning up his rock shop.  i finally went through that box.  Wow!!!  Everything in the box was just pieces but at the very bottom and in one of the corners was this fantastic specimen!!!   My ammo buddy told me its most likely Scaphites borealis and this is the macroconch of the species.   This is quite rare!  Im gunna hafta try and find out where this guy got these from.  My guess is Montana, South Dakota or Wyoming? 

RB

DSCN0549.JPG

DSCN0550.JPG

DSCN0551.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

That’s awesome! Do you think you will be able to prep it out a little? Expose some of the inner whirls? 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 3/14/2020 at 6:25 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice find! 

Thank you

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

You take PayPal right? 

Funny guy. 

15 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Very nice, congrats!  

Thank you

13 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

That’s awesome! Do you think you will be able to prep it out a little? Expose some of the inner whirls?

I think Im going to try some vinegar and see what happens?   I try my air scribe already.  Not going to work.

RB

• I found this Informative 1