Need help with ammonite ID

Sagebrush Steve

5e6d7e498099d_Orthosphinctesside.jpg.c65674f39ec7d8700081b9db360859dd.jpg 5e6d7e43e6ea7_Orthosphinctesfront.jpg.05b4a0560d00693b28607e709615cf4b.jpg

I was in Moab, Utah last week and stopped in at the Moab Rock Shop.  They had lots of fossils so I picked up this nice little ammonite about 17 mm diameter for a few dollars.  It was labeled as an Orthosphinctes from the Jurassic of the Atlas Mountains of Morocco, but I'm not convinced.  I can't find much online about Orthosphinctes but what I do find shows the whorl cross section as being much more oval in shape.  I found the thread below from 2014 but it doesn't seem to have answered the poster's original question of Orthosphinctes vs. Perisphinctes.  Can anyone help?

Hi, Steve!

I don't know the difference between the two, but I cannot recall seeing anything listed as being Orthosphinctes from Morocco. 

And this specimen doesn't seem to be any Moroccan preservation or shape that I can recall. 

This looks Madagascan to me. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi, Steve!

I don't know the difference between the two, but I cannot recall seeing anything listed as being Orthosphinctes from Morocco. 

And this specimen doesn't doesn't seem to be any Moroccan preservation or shape that I can recall. 

This looks Madagascan to me. 

That may be why I can’t find anything about Orthosphinctes in Morocco on google.  I’m sure the rock shop bought their stuff at the Tucson fossil show, so the IDs might not be accurate.

I can't help with the identity but it looks Madagascan to me too. I wonder how many fossils are floating around out there with location stated as 'Morocco' when 'Madagascar' was intended, or vice versa.

• I found this Informative 1