Kane

Spent seven hours in the field today. Not much to show for it other than the usual, but I thought I'd show the process on how I extract a big rock. I am of the belief that there is no rock so immovable that my use of persistence and force cannot dislodge it. 

This one has been one of many that I have flagged for future extraction. First step was to clear off the debris to get a sense of just how big this one is. You can't make out the depth on this one yet. The next step was to exploit a crack to pop off one of the upper pieces.

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The tools for the job is what will fit in my backpack, which needs to be replaced soon since it is full of holes and tears. That includes the rock hammer, hand sledge, chisels, and a mini pry bar. 

So, how deep is this rock going? Oh boy...

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

This is going to come out in big chunks, although some of the pieces are jammed under other pieces, which are themselves jammed under other pieces. I'm building something of a fort of blocks around the hole, all for later splitting.

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

More pry-bar work, a lot of wrestling, but I'm getting closer to the bottom of this rock. The second picture somewhat indicates the depth.

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

Aaaand... done. I've hit the bottom and the whole rock is out in many blocks. So began about 2.5 hours of splitting. All the discards went right back into the hole so I could repeat the process again nearby.

For all that effort, I only found one so-so fossil I wanted to keep. Tons of other stuff in these rocks, however.

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

Thanks for sharing :). I remember having to extract a fossil from a meter long rock at Lyme Regis. Thank goodness it wasn’t limestone and was in fact a hard, clay-like substance. It was painful both mentally and physically :(.

• I found this Informative 1

I can only wish that I was there in person to watch,,,,,,,, and then split all the rocks you dislodged and had ready to go.  :)    Nice of you to show folks just what kind or work it takes to find fossils and then only to find some b-grade stuff.  Thats better than being skunked though. 

RB

It makes me feel quite exhausted just reading this. 

Beyond my capabilities but very interesting. :)

And the nice fossil you kept? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Whatcha find? :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

12 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It makes me feel quite exhausted just reading this. 

Beyond my capabilities but very interesting. :)

And the nice fossil you kept? 

Sadly, it was just another very tiny fragment of another Mystrocephala stummi trilobite. :( But there are still other pieces I'm leaving to weather, so perhaps today I'll see if they are ready for splitting!

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

How are your elbows doing?

Very well! It is instead one of my wrists that is constantly aggravated from an injury last summer. It will need elective surgery, which is something that will have to wait for the time being until the heath crisis abates. 

As someone who has witnessed the strength and power of Kane on multiple occasions, I am convinced he can move any rock. :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/