Hi all! I pulled this fossil out of Red Hill, a Devonian site in central Pennsylvania. I thought it looks like it could possibly be part of a placoderm but I’d love to get some help with further identification. Thanks in advance!

7C3F51D1-5C44-4264-9E7A-010A9FE17F52.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, connorp said:

I thought I read that Red Hill was now off limits?

That was the word for the usual DVPS field trip. :shakehead: And I had my vacation saved for the trip.

It's always been out of bounds for unsupervised collection.

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

That was the word for the usual DVPS field trip. :shakehead: And I had my vacation saved for the trip.

It's always been out of bounds for unsupervised collection.

Really? Thanks for the heads up – I had no idea the site it was off-limits. I've been visiting Red Hill since I was a kid, it was the place that inspired my interest in geology. 

Embiggened

timage.thumb.png.14490b9612235cffa77ce6cda98a4993.png

That looks interesting and looks symmetrical to me. The little detail near the middle base is especially interesting. @jpc is correct, most Placoderm material is not smooth. It's usually covered with small bumps while yours looks to be smooth with some shallow pits in places. @Paul1719 might be able to ID better.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, cl8n said:

Really? Thanks for the heads up – I had no idea the site it was off-limits. I've been visiting Red Hill since I was a kid, it was the place that inspired my interest in geology. 

When I pondered the lack of signage to the effect I realized that it would probably attract more folks who don't care than inform those who do.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

When I pondered the lack of signage to the effect I realized that it would probably attract more folks who don't care than inform those who do.

Yeah, I agree. Thanks again for letting me know – I'll make sure to spread the word. Is that a recent change or has it always been off-limits? I could have sworn that it was open to the public when I was younger.

It has been since 2011 at least. I found out at the same time I learned of the sites existence. It's why a Mainah like me is a DVPS memba . :)

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Embiggened

timage.thumb.png.14490b9612235cffa77ce6cda98a4993.png

That looks interesting and looks symmetrical to me. The little detail near the middle base is especially interesting. @jpc is correct, most Placoderm material is not smooth. It's usually covered with small bumps while yours looks to be smooth with some shallow pits in places. @Paul1719 might be able to ID better.

Yeah, the texture has me stumped! I noticed that little detail near the middle base as well and thought it could help with ID. I did find some other similar fossils in the immediate area – attaching those images here.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg