BellaLikesRocks

I found this in my fathers collection of flint stones. I’ve been meaning to pop some of them open, but this one already shows some of its secrets. I’m afraid to break it, how would you go on about it? And does any of you have a guess of what it could be? I am very much a rookie at this. 

B60AEEE7-B626-4186-9D88-49763C7492C9.jpeg

992BA4AC-773B-480F-9F98-44D4D27A2F55.jpeg

F685ADF3-AEEF-424D-851F-07A7F0F7CB8E.jpeg

D5A5B846-0385-4BC8-BB24-5BABB9B572FA.jpeg

910D5A6E-E286-4458-9E3E-24166D41A1D4.jpeg

5F0B2255-DBF8-459B-84EB-D3ABC3905DB8.jpeg

1 minute ago, Scylla said:

Why do you want to break it? Are you angry at your father?:o

Haha no, I don’t mean break it. It just looks as if there is something inside it that maybe could be revealed. But as I said I’m a rookie :blink::hammer01:

Oh, ok. Flint is hard to prep and fossils in flint sometimes can be found. My favorites are the cross sections you get from cutting with a rock saw. 

• I found this Informative 1

I would leave it as is. Judging by the shape and size of what is protruding I think there is not much more to see, and splitting the stone may destroy what is present.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I would leave it as is. Judging by the shape and size of what is protruding I think there is not much more to see, and splitting the stone may destroy what is present.

Okay, Thank you ☺️ I will do that. What do you think it could be? 

13 hours ago, BellaLikesRocks said:

Okay, Thank you ☺️ I will do that. What do you think it could be? 

I have no idea.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

This is super interesting. I would leave it as is. The lighter colored inclusion reminds me of a spherical inclusion a carnivore coprolite fragment I found in the Hell Creek Formation.  The ridges are a little different, and I think the one I found is smaller. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is. My best guess was the internal case of a seed.  How big is yours? I wonder if it could be the interior of the darker plant like inclusion. The overall surface texture of your specimen is unusual too. :zzzzscratchchin:

Coprolite with Iron Core and Inclusion.jpg

I never considered coprolite, that would be really cool!  
It really does look a lot like yours. 
I have cleaned it some more and around the big gap there is also a very strange texture, almost like hair or feathers. But that might just be wishful thinking :P

6EF1C771-36AB-45A0-8679-1F0462BCDEDF.jpeg

I don't know that it is a coprolite. What ever it is, it is very cool. I wish we knew where it was found. It could just be a cluster of seeds. I wonder if this is the imprint of the seed coat and the lighter colored lined inclusion the interior. What we need is a plant expert. I've been away from the forum for a while. @JohnJ who are our plant experts?

weird inclusion.jpg

It does have some resemblance to a rhynchonellid brachiopod suture, but the two 'valves' don't seem to quite fit. 

I don't think it is. :shrug:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Maybe not a coprolite, but some kind of phosphatic and/or mudstone nodule, not flint.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, GeschWhat said:

I don't know that it is a coprolite. What ever it is, it is very cool. I wish we knew where it was found. It could just be a cluster of seeds. I wonder if this is the imprint of the seed coat and the lighter colored lined inclusion the interior. What we need is a plant expert. I've been away from the forum for a while. @JohnJ who are our plant experts?

weird inclusion.jpg

It was found in Skåne, Österlen in Sweden. :) The inclusion has a very smooth almost shell like feeling. Could it be a tiny egg? 

18 hours ago, Johannes said:

Maybe not a coprolite, but some kind of phosphatic and/or mudstone nodule, not flint.

Oh ok! Thanks:)

11 hours ago, BellaLikesRocks said:

It was found in Skåne, Österlen in Sweden. :) The inclusion has a very smooth almost shell like feeling. Could it be a tiny egg? 

No egg, for sure.

Österlen is (beside of Öland) one of my favourite areas in Sweden! :)

Beside lower palaeozioc rocks you can find Lower-Middle Jurassic and Upper Cretaceous fossiliferous rocks there. Near Svedala fully marine callovian jurassic marlstone concretions from the lamberti- and jason-zone were found (long long time ago). At the moment this is the only idea I have concerning this lithology and associated fossils.

The nodule, esp. the craquele surface implcates some (maybe fossil) transportation processes. Please can you specify the place where you have found it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-03-23 at 6:25 PM, Johannes said:

No egg, for sure.

Österlen is (beside of Öland) one of my favourite areas in Sweden! :)

Beside lower palaeozioc rocks you can find Lower-Middle Jurassic and Upper Cretaceous fossiliferous rocks there. Near Svedala fully marine callovian jurassic marlstone concretions from the lamberti- and jason-zone were found (long long time ago). At the moment this is the only idea I have concerning this lithology and associated fossils.

The nodule, esp. the craquele surface implcates some (maybe fossil) transportation processes. Please can you specify the place where you have found it?

Thank you. How interesting! I have family in svedala. What does transportation process mean? 
It was found in Ramsåsa, Tomelilla. Close to fyledalen of you’ve heard of it. :) 

Transportation process : the method by which a rock or fossil could have been carried from it's original location to a different place, sometimes a great distance. 

So glaciers, rivers and people carrying them would be some examples. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

42 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Transportation process : the method by which a rock or fossil could have been carried from it's original location to a different place, sometimes a great distance. 

So glaciers, rivers and people carrying them would be some examples. 

Thanks I didn’t know that!

On 6.4.2020 at 12:28 PM, BellaLikesRocks said:

Thank you. How interesting! I have family in svedala. What does transportation process mean? 
It was found in Ramsåsa, Tomelilla. Close to fyledalen of you’ve heard of it. :) 

Hello Bella,

in your region, some old shorelines from the quaternary did pop up (due to uplifting processes since the last ice age), so the marks on the pebble you have found refer to an very old beach, maybe from times, when the baltic sea was a freshwater sea. Somewhere I have maps with the old shorelines (and according ages) mapped for your region. Unfortunately, it does not help to get a better idea about your item shown above.

I was at fyledalen sometimes, esp. because there are some old outcrops of the late Silurian Öved-Ramsåsa-Group we try to find. They are famous for a diverse silurian fauna of theire limestone beds, including bryozoans, brachiopodes, and trilobites deposited under shallow water environment, sometime in marls and encrusted with onkoids... best outcrops to search are in the Bjärsjölagard-Area, there is a paper mentioning some outcrops. Nice fact: in the best outcrops you didn't need a hammer, you can just pick up the fossils from the ground. But outcrops are mostly small so better to collect with two persons there than with a larger Group.

All the best

Johannes

• 1 month later...
On 2020-04-11 at 5:50 PM, Johannes said:

Hello Bella,

in your region, some old shorelines from the quaternary did pop up (due to uplifting processes since the last ice age), so the marks on the pebble you have found refer to an very old beach, maybe from times, when the baltic sea was a freshwater sea. Somewhere I have maps with the old shorelines (and according ages) mapped for your region. Unfortunately, it does not help to get a better idea about your item shown above.

I was at fyledalen sometimes, esp. because there are some old outcrops of the late Silurian Öved-Ramsåsa-Group we try to find. They are famous for a diverse silurian fauna of theire limestone beds, including bryozoans, brachiopodes, and trilobites deposited under shallow water environment, sometime in marls and encrusted with onkoids... best outcrops to search are in the Bjärsjölagard-Area, there is a paper mentioning some outcrops. Nice fact: in the best outcrops you didn't need a hammer, you can just pick up the fossils from the ground. But outcrops are mostly small so better to collect with two persons there than with a larger Group.

All the best

Johannes

Thank you! This is really interesting! I feel fortunate to live close to this area!