Bone Valley Whites

Shellseeker

I am sitting at home, sorting ziplock bags of fossils collected in the last year. You know the problem.  Too many fossils in the house. 

All these fossils came out of a Bone Valley Creek,  definitely Miocene.  For those of you who are fortunate enough to collect Bone Valley teeth, what is happening with the white on these teeth?  Especially the Hemipristis.. A white tip. or the "bourlette" on the Tiger?

IMG_3049.thumb.JPEG.b252d6dd2e9e49d07a32f04bfdc7f86d.JPEGIMG_3054.thumb.JPEG.3749fdeaa4dde15cebcc821002a31ec3.JPEGIMG_3050.thumb.JPEG.3082ad21c5801363da22a9cee87bb46a.JPEGIMG_3061.thumb.JPEG.7b4bdbb88b74a8c7a5e67c4e5503527d.JPEG

• I found this Informative 6

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, they're reverting back to the color they were when the shark was using them.  Maybe some sort of reaction as the phosphate slowly dries within the core?

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That hemi is crazy, I love it!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I had not seen this specific combination of coloring on BV shark teeth.

If you consider the hemi, I have frequently seen the color combo of blue _grey enamel combined with tan or white roots. So, to me that's "normal". Here is one of my best:

BVHemipristisGold.jpg.525635d2dc000fe6ea6e9faa73b42440.jpg.b9ffd23e402cce2cf3df2ef66afc6eb8.jpg

I thought of it as a possible 2 step process. Maybe the tip was exposed to sunlight for thousands of years while the rest was under ground.  Interesting to speculate !!!!

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Maybe the tip was exposed to sunlight for thousands of years while the rest was under ground.

Prehistoric teeth bleaching! :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Here is one of my best:

BVHemipristisGold.jpg.525635d2dc000fe6ea6e9faa73b42440.jpg.b9ffd23e402cce2cf3df2ef66afc6eb8.jpg

That is some tasty caramel goodness there. That's a 10/10 in my book! :)

caramel-cream-bulk.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

I need to hunt dry land sites more often. These are so much prettier than stained river teeth.  :)

18 minutes ago, jpc said:

i love your leaf as background

I have similar feelings. @Shellseeker, Did you ever figure out an answer to the coloration. I found a few of these teeth along the road back in November. They looked odd to even a novice like me!  

Mike

No Mike, have not figured out anything...

The base questions are what triggers the color variations in the enamel and why are Bone Valley roots white. 

I have some understanding of the 1st, no understanding of the 2nd question

• I found this Informative 2