sander

The next few days we will be spending in the Lower Campanian.

Up first are two teeth from France.

Squalicorax kaupi (both)

Offaster pilula Zone

Lower Campanian

Beauval Quarry, Somme, France

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5443v2.jpg

CIMG5445v2.jpg

CIMG5446v2.jpg

CIMG5447v2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, sander said:

Well, Glacial movements mostly go from north to south, so I do not expect the chalk to go further to the north than were it was deposited. 

Also, according to geological maps there are no exposures in low lying fields, because the area to the north of east yorkshire yields older layers. Therefore the chalk that used to be on top of those layers (if that part was not land) is long gone. I really could not find any evidence of chalk fossils from (nowadays) North Yorkshire. 

I know but I’m saying maybe there was an outlying section of chalk somewhere in Yorkshire a few boulders or something from the time when chalk was present 

19 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I know but I’m saying maybe there was an outlying section of chalk somewhere in Yorkshire a few boulders or something from the time when chalk was present 

I honestly doubt it. Do you know of such blocks in North Yorkshire?

19 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Nice teeth by the way:)

And thank you very much! I have been trying to collect Squalicorax teeth from every location I could get for the past 11 years (still collecting them by the way), nice to see that I am not the only one who appreciates these teeth :D

Staying in the same layer for today, from another quarry.

Squalicorax kaupi (134 times)

Offaster pilula Zone

Lower Campanian

Hallencourt, Somme, France

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5331.JPG

CIMG5332.JPG

CIMG5333.JPG

CIMG5335.JPG

CIMG5337.JPG

A new day, a new location.

Squalicorax kaupi

Misburg Formation

Lower Campanian

Höver, Niedersachsen, Germany

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5339v2.jpg

CIMG5340v2.jpg

CIMG5343v2.jpg

CIMG5344v2.jpg

CIMG5341v2.jpg

CIMG5342v2.jpg

I am not sure if I may post the exact location of today's tooth, so I will only mention the province.

Squalicorax kaupi

Belemnellocamax mammillatus Zone

Lower Campanian

Skåne län, Sweden

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5424v2.jpg

CIMG5425v2.jpg

CIMG5426v2.jpg

CIMG5427v2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

What a fun idea. :)

Are you thinking about doing a brachiopod advent calendar?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I'm saving that for a quiz when this is all over. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Haha, actually I do not have many brachiopods. They are not one of my collection focuses. I do have quite a few Triassic ammonoids, and also my Triassic amphibian and Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous reptile collections are perhaps big enough for a similar thing.

Today's tooth is one with a very special colour, unfortunately it is not complete, but it is still a very beautiful tooth (in my opinion).

Again, I probably may not mention the location, so it is a bit vague again (and yes it is a different location as the one from yesterday).

Squalicorax kaupi/lindstromi

Belemnellocamax mammillatus Zone

Lower Campanian

Skåne län, Sweden

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5428v2.jpg

CIMG5429v2.jpg

CIMG5430v2.jpg

Another day in the Lower Campanian. 

Squalicorax yangaensis

Woodbury Formation

Lower Campanian

Cooper River, Cherry Hill, Camden County, New Jersey, United States of America

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5403v2.jpg

CIMG5404v2.jpg

CIMG5406v2.jpg

CIMG5407v2.jpg

Another day another tooth.

Squalicorax kaupi

unknown Formation

Lower - Middle Campanian

Cowikee Creek, Russell County, Alabama, United States of America

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5355v2.jpg

CIMG5359v2.jpg

CIMG5360v2.jpg

The dating of the tooth of today is ver unsure because it came from a river.

Any more information on narrowing the age down would be helpful.

Squalicorax pristodontus

unknown Formation

Lower Campanian - Upper Maastrichtian

Green Mill Run, Pitt County, North Carolina, United States of America

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5379v2.jpg

CIMG5380v2.jpg

CIMG5381v2.jpg

CIMG5383v2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Very interesting.

May I ask how many species do you have and how many species are recognized? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 9-4-2020 at 6:44 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting.

May I ask how many species do you have and how many species are recognized? 

Well it depends on which author you believe, but according to the lsit on wikipedia in total there are now 23 species.

Some of those are wastebucket taxa, while some have been given a separate name while that can be doubted.

I have stuck to the somewhat older names until some clarity is brought to this matter. So I recognise in my own collection primaevus, falcatus, kaupi, pristodontus, yangaensis and bassani.

On the benguerirensis, curvatus, lindstromi and volgensis specimens I am less confident. Perhaps I should dig into this genus more and do the ID'ing myself. But when you read that for instance falcatus is a wastebucket taxon and then the only other option is hartwelli, while apparently in the USA falcatus could be as much as 12 separate species, I will wait with relabeling them until these 12 separate species have been identified too.

So I actually do not know how many different species I exactly have because of cases like the falcatus species. 

• I found this Informative 3

I forgot to send a tooth yesterday, so here it is. 

It is from the Middle Campanian, which is a Campanian substage name that is not in use in Europe.

In Europe there is only Lower and Upper Campanian. I could not find a precise correlation to see if the Lower Demopolis Formation would be Lower or Upper Campanian in Europe.

Perhaps someone here can tell me which one it is?

Squalicorax kaupi

Lower Demopolis Formation

Middle Campanian

Frankstown, Prentiss County, Mississippi, United States of America

See you in a few minutes,

Sander

CIMG5345v2.jpg

CIMG5346v2.jpg

CIMG5347v2.jpg

CIMG5348v2.jpg

And I am back again with today's tooth.

This time we are going back to France again.

It was found in the European Upper Campanian, but I could correlate this tooth to the American Middle Campanian.

Squalicorax kaupi

C6 - C7

Upper Campanian (Middle Campanian in the Americas)

Talmont sur Gironde, Charente Maritime, France

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5329v2.jpg

CIMG5330v2.jpg

1 hour ago, sander said:

Well it depends on which author you believe, but according to the lsit on wikipedia in total there are now 23 species.

Some of those are wastebucket taxa, while some have been given a separate name while that can be doubted.

I have stuck to the somewhat older names until some clarity is brought to this matter. So I recognise in my own collection primaevus, falcatus, kaupi, pristodontus, yangaensis and bassani.

On the benguerirensis, curvatus, lindstromi and volgensis specimens I am less confident. Perhaps I should dig into this genus more and do the ID'ing myself. But when you read that for instance falcatus is a wastebucket taxon and then the only other option is hartwelli, while apparently in the USA falcatus could be as much as 12 separate species, I will wait with relabeling them until these 12 separate species have been identified too.

So I actually do not know how many different species I exactly have because of cases like the falcatus species. 

Thanks.

I think.:headscratch:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks.

I think.:headscratch:

yes sorry for the vague answer, it is just a bit messy at the moment. 

A bit late, but still on time.

Another French Squalicorax, a bit less old than the one of yesterday.

Squalicorax pristodontus

C8

Upper Campanian

Meschers, Charente Maritime, France

See you tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5368v2.jpg

CIMG5369v2.jpg

CIMG5370v2.jpg

On 4/11/2020 at 7:31 AM, sander said:

I have been going through a "squalicorax phase" and might be able to contribute. There is a lot of conflicting information that has been published. I would like to see what other TFF members think. 

Squalicorax primaevus is a middle to late Albian species that had a smooth (unserrated) crown.

primaevus.PNG.f414d0670642ae395c0b53b1b3b3bdbc.PNG

S. primaevus from Smart 2007. 

Squalicorax volgensis is nomen dubium.  Silverson et al. 2007 used teeth from the upper Albian of Texas to divide it into two new species, Squalicorax pawpawensis and Squalicorax priscoserratus.

Squalicorax baharijensis is a Cenomanian species reported from New Mexico and Texas. 

5e93811a2a18e_pawpawensispriscoserratusbaharijensis.gif.ca9092998ea8ff64ec3b20c57efdad88.gif

From left to right: S. pawpawensisS. priscoserratus, S. baharijensis (From Silverson et al. 2007).

Squalicorax falcatus is a mid Cenomanian to early Campanian paleobucket. S. curvatus may be synonymous with S. falcatus. Elasmo.com states that S. curvatus teeth should be classified as either S. baharijensis or S. falcatus

S. hartwelli is a variant of S. falcatus found in the Niobrara Chalk. It may represent a different species, but it also may be a case of sexual dimorphism, different jaw position, etc. 

S. kapui is a Santonian to Maastrichtian paleobucket. In my opinion, S. lindstormi and S. praeyangaensis are dubious variants of S. kapui from Mississippi and Kazakstan, respectively.

S. pristodontus is a large Maastrichtian species. 

squalixx.jpg.520839c4ebeb68577c5a0371062df091.jpg

Kansas Squalicorax from Oceans of Kansas

S. yangaensis is a Santonian-Campanian species from southeastern USA. It resembles S. bassani and is sometimes labelled as such.

S. bassani  is a Maastrichtian species from Morocco.

squalicorax-bassani-shark-tooth_1_04fca5ad36aa83601f6af9d9d26911f7.jpg.6da51c38fec9eae891a20c297d4dab8a.jpg

Squalicorax bassani

Thank you @sander for putting up this topic. I've enjoyed seeing the rare teeth from your collection. 

Further reading:

ELASMO

squalicorax

Oceans of Kansas

16 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I have been going through a "squalicorax phase" and might be able to contribute. There is a lot of conflicting information that has been published. I would like to see what other TFF members think. 

Squalicorax primaevus is a middle to late Albian species that had a smooth (unserrated) crown.

Squalicorax volgensis is nomen dubium.  Silverson et al. 2007 used teeth from the upper Albian of Texas to divide it into two new species, Squalicorax pawpawensis and Squalicorax priscoserratus.

Squalicorax baharijensis is a Cenomanian species reported from New Mexico and Texas. 

Squalicorax falcatus is a mid Cenomanian to early Campanian paleobucket. S. curvatus may be synonymous with S. falcatus. Elasmo.com states that S. curvatus teeth should be classified as either S. baharijensis or S. falcatus

S. hartwelli is a variant of S. falcatus found in the Niobrara Chalk. It may represent a different species, but it also may be a case of sexual dimorphism, different jaw position, etc. 

S. kapui is a Santonian to Maastrichtian paleobucket. In my opinion, S. lindstormi and S. praeyangaensis are dubious variants of S. kapui from Mississippi and Kazakstan, respectively.

S. pristodontus is a large Maastrichtian species. 

S. yangaensis is a Santonian-Campanian species from southeastern USA. It resembles S. bassani and is sometimes labelled as such.

S. bassani  is a Maastrichtian species from Morocco.

Thank you @sander for putting up this topic. I've enjoyed seeing the rare teeth from your collection. 

Further reading:

ELASMO

squalicorax

Oceans of Kansas

Hi Praefectus, That is indeed how I understand the genuses to be as well, perhaps the timeframes and distributions are not exactly as described above (for example yangaensis was described from specimens from lake Yanga in Congo so it can be found in Africa as well) but those are most of the genuses indeed. It would be nice if someone would really focus on the Anacoracidae and sort them out for once and for all (or at least a few decennia). most of the times a new article is published, only 1 or a few new species are added, or there are a few specimens of anacoracidae described for a certain location along with the other fauna of that location. but an all encompassing study on Squalicorax seems to be too complicated? 

Among the teeth of today the smallest Squalicorax in my collection can be seen. it is less than 5mm big. I guess it must be a juvenile tooth, which I do not see often.

Of course you have to have a good eye to even find it.

Squalicorax kaupi (x3)

Unknown Formation

Upper Campanian

Florence County, South Carolina, United States of America

See you guys tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5399v2.jpg

CIMG5400v2.jpg

CIMG5402v2.jpg

Today's tooth is from a location that is known by me by only two letters, any help on the actual name would be appreciated.

Squalicorax pristodontus

Unknown Formation

Upper Campanian - Upper Maastrichtian

A. R., Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States of America

See you tomorrow,

Sander

CIMG5384v2.jpg

CIMG5385v2.jpg