Monica

1 hour ago, piranha said:

For your records here is a printable chart of the hypostomal biometrics of Acanthopyge: copy-smiley.gif?1292867575

HL = sag. length of the hypostome
HLb = sag. length of the hypostomal body
HLp = length of the posterior hypostomal margin
HWa = tr. width of the anterior hypostomal margin (at anterior wings)
HWmax = maximal tr. width of the hypostome (at shoulders)
HWp = tr. width of the hypostomal posterior margin
HWba = maximal tr. width of the anterior lobe of middle hypostomal body
HWbp = posterior tr. width of the posterior lobe of middle hypostomal body

image.png.945cf5b6bd590cf89f9f546284bbf6a9.png

figure from:

Budil, P., Frýda, J., Chatterton, B.D E., Corbacho, J., Vokáč, V. 2016

Intraspecific Variability in Trilobite Acanthopyge (A.) haueri (Barrande, 1846) from the Middle Devonian (Eifelian) of the Barrandian area (Czech Republic).

[Innerartliche Variabilität bei dem Trilobiten Acanthopyge (A.) haueri (Barrande, 1846) aus dem Mitteldevon (Eifelium) des Barrandiums (Tschechien).]

3rd German Conference on Trilobites. [Ampyx-Verlag Publishing, Berlin, October, 8th and 9th 2016]. Abstracts of Lectures. pp. 8-11

Thanks for this! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice report and finds. A great way to spend the day in isolation. Viola’s large chunk of coral is one of my favorite of your finds. :wub: She did good! :)

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

14 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Very nice report and finds. A great way to spend the day in isolation. Viola’s large chunk of coral is one of my favorite of your finds. :wub: She did good! :)

It was a wonderful way to spend the day in isolation.  Viola and I haven't been out at all to look for fossils since the fall, so it was nice to get out and fossil hunt in a new location with her, especially on such a beautiful day.  She said numerous times: "Mommy - this has been a great day!"  I think she enjoyed the site - the car was right next to the site which meant we could easily access our snacks and we didn't have to lug our buckets of fossil finds very far at the end of the day, and it was nice to collect fossils that are different from our usual finds.  I think we'll go back again - perhaps in a few weeks.

I'll let her know that you like her tabulate coral - she'll be very pleased to hear that. :)

Great trip and finds! Lucky you had the weather to explore that outcrop. Now, you just need to teach Viola how to move rock like @Kane and she can give him a run for his money.... err... Trilobites. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

Great trip and finds! Lucky you had the weather to explore that outcrop. Now, you just need to teach Viola how to move rock like @Kane and she can give him a run for his money.... err... Trilobites. ;)

Yes, it was a gorgeous day - perfect for fossil hunting!  Viola enjoys hammering rocks, so @Kane had better watch out - she might find all of the trilobites! :P

That coral especially is fantastic! I love the variety of specimen y'all found there; so much of it is new to me.

[ . . .] to a naturalist who is reading in the face of the rocks the annals of a former world, the mossy covering which obstructs his view, and renders indistinguishable the different species of stone, is no less than a serious subject of regret. - James Hutton

2 hours ago, HotSauceCommittee said:

That coral especially is fantastic! I love the variety of specimen y'all found there; so much of it is new to me.

Thanks!  The specimens my daughter and I found on Monday were new to me, too!  It was our first time checking out the site - it was a fantastic day!

• 7 months later...

Great report, Monica! :)

Don't quite know how I missed it before.

Sorry. 

Your nose looks cold.

You found some lovely pieces, rather a successful trip, I would say, tons of species and congratulations to you on the rare hypostome and to Viola on that wonderful coral. Congratulati.gif.ccf1dc6b1886a7a90c43e9d7cb8769b3.gif

And thank you again for the bits you sent me.

And thanks to @Kanefor the more recent references. 

I'm off now to see if I can find them.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for chiming in, Adam @Tidgy's Dad!  My nose was indeed cold that day.  In fact, my nose is cold a lot of the time - I often complain about it to my husband. :P

That day at Formosa Reef back in March was amazing, especially because it led me to donate a fossil (the Acanthopyge contusa hypostome) to the prestigious Royal Ontario Museum which was a dream come true for me!  This is what I look like whenever I think about it ---> :D

I think I might have some tentative ids for you, Monica.

The brachiopod with the gastropod is probably Camarotoechia tethys and the gastropod Mourlonia confertinemilata.

The big tabulate coral chunks are likely Emmonsia emmonsi. 

The curved nautiloids are Exocyrtoceras minutum.

The straight naulitoid : ?Dawsonoceras cf. americanum. 

The high-spired gastropod is only listed as Murchisonoidea indet. 

No.11 is a really beautiful Hippocardia ohioense.

Hope this is of some help. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think I might have some tentative ids for you, Monica.

The brachiopod with the gastropod is probably Camarotoechia tethys and the gastropod Mourlonia confertinemilata.

The big tabulate coral chunks are likely Emmonsia emmonsi. 

The curved nautiloids are Exocyrtoceras minutum.

The straight naulitoid : ?Dawsonoceras cf. americanum. 

The high-spired gastropod is only listed as Murchisonoidea indet. 

No.11 is a really beautiful Hippocardia ohioense.

Hope this is of some help. 

This is super-helpful, Adam - thank you so much!!! :SlapHands: