ByronNWT

From Mattson(Mississippian) or Fantasque formation(Pennsylvanian) just outside of Fort Laird NWT Canada. these were quick snap shots before i had to jump in helicopter from a fire tower on top of a small mountain. i am guessing based of discription it is Calamites cistii? did my own research so could be way off. From what i have read this is one of the only Carboniferous deposits in the entire region.

IMG_7095.PNG.578ea78cdd5990227e50ef0e38be7c64.PNGIMG_7096.PNG.bffdd42c3755423861663bf206b6c035.PNG IMG_7094.PNG.fde1ee6cfb312bc79e047ff471c1a1d3.PNG

Thanks! Is there any additional info or reading anywhere on artesia? I hope to get back there this summer hopefully get better pictures. 

4 hours ago, ByronNWT said:

Thanks! Is there any additional info or reading anywhere on artesia? I hope to get back there this summer hopefully get better pictures. 

Undoubtedly there is, but if it's not on paper or at a museum I couldn't say where. 

The correct spelling will help a lot when researching this topic! :o:P

image.png.01278b656862aa55ca1cf0bcec5124f6.png

Jennings, J.R. 1974

Lower Pennsylvanian Plants of Illinois. I: A Flora from the Pounds Sandstone Member of the Caseyville Formation. Journal of Paleontology, 48(3):459-473

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Artisia (internal pith cast) usually has horizontal annular features which appear to be lacking in OP post, I suggest this is an external mold of Calamites rather than an internal cast.

3 hours ago, westcoast said:

Artisia (internal pith cast) usually has horizontal annular features which appear to be lacking in OP post, I suggest this is an external mold of Calamites rather than an internal cast.

They have been known to grow up through thick mud overlay. I can see it being something like that. The stem being the conduit for minerals that resulted in the surrounding concretion. It would also perhaps explain the irregular node pattern and apparent lack of branch scars.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah the lack of horizontal feature is what confused me about artisia. What do you think about the dark spindle lines top left of first picture. Again hope to get better picture  in future. Area is very remote.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:12 AM, Rockwood said:

I think this is a pith cast from a cordiates known as artesia. 

I would change only the spelling.

The lack of any apparent vascular ribs makes me fairly confident it isn't a calamites. At this resolution there should be at least a vestige.

The classic example of artisia does have a folded pleat look. There is also growth related spreading in the pith away from the apex that would perhaps be more crack like in nature.

Maybe @paleoflor is around for an opinion ?

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Was supposed to fly up to the mountain on friday but got weathered out. Sigh.. going to try to get someone else to get better photo of it tomorrow.