March 17th, 2020 Peace River

Sacha

I've spent the last few trips Socially separating on the Peace at Zolfo Springs. Yesterday I found some pretty interesting stuff. I've switched back to a 1/4 " screen for a while because the 1/2" and the extended shovel handle was killing me. As a result, I've gotten a ton more small shark teeth, but have been able to process a lot  less material. This was the total take for Tuesday.

DSCF1738.thumb.jpg.b829f5e415deea004cb7c3a0a722adae.jpg

The invertebrates are the most interesting I think. In the lower left corner is a juvenile Abertella aberti with some minor damage but an intact perimeter. I've got a question about the sea biscuit though. It is clearly a Ryncholampas sp., but which one? This is Hawthorne group, not Suwannee, so should I assume it's R. chipolanus? 

Close up pictures follow.

• I found this Informative 4

Can't help with the ids, but a good haul. 

Those echinoids are great. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

looks like a spantangoid of some sort next to the Rhyncholampas. Nice to see some inverts from there and congratulations on using the finer screen!

1 hour ago, Sacha said:

I've spent the last few trips Socially separating on the Peace at Zolfo Springs.

Making lemonade out of lemons. :)

Nice echinoids and a really cool little bottle. The river is so low at the moment that I hope you are able to explore some of the deeper spots around Zolfo. Mostly small teeth this time but I'm sure some really nice trip-makers are in your future.

Cheers.

-Ken

An update from Roger Portell at the Univ. of FL.

1) the complete sea biscuit is Rhyncholampas chipolanus. (My first one)

2) the correct ID for the small juvenile sand dollar is Abertella dengleri

3) The partial echinoid in the first picture, top left is a Brissopsis sp. currently being described. I previously donated a complete example that Roger said would be a paratype for this species.

These 3 and the bottle made for an interesting day for the Peace. 

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, Sacha said:

3) The partial echinoid in the first picture, top left is a Brissopsis sp. currently being described. I previously donated a complete example that Roger said would be a paratype for this species.

Very very cool!

:thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds. I find a lot of broken pieces, but have yet to find an intact (or mostly) example.