ThePhysicist

I found this a while back, and now I'm wondering if it could be a stromatolite. Though, it could just be some sedimentary formation. It was found in the red river/lake texoma in texas. Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated, thank you!

In the second photo, I sanded a bit of the side to show the layering.

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I would say yes, looks like a very nice example.  Very similar forms can be found in rocks that are over 3 billion years old.

Interesting piece. Those bumps apparently are layered as well, so I vote for 'stromatolite' too. Do yo know what formation it would have come out of? Mostly Cretaceous in that area?

@Wrangellian, it would most likely be cretaceous in age. I'm not sure what formation exactly. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff