Cretaceous fossil hunt in New Zealand

mamlambo

@doctor mud, Chris and I went off to a Cretaceous area on the South Island of New Zealand recently and found some amazing fossils. Between us we found paddle bones, shark teeth, petrified wood, a vertebrae and a few other bits.

It was our first trip to this spot and had quite a bit of stuff to carry back, I needed help with my backpack as my legs weren't handling it :D

My favourite find was the section of paddle with some associated paddle bones in it.

I just finished the video and uploaded it here:

49668629826_43b04db00d_4k.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Very nice stuff! The shark teeth are pretty sweet :) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

nice report and finds :) 

I didn't know they had Cretaceous in New-zealand

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

6 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

nice report and finds :) 

I didn't know they had Cretaceous in New-zealand

Yeah, it's part of the Conway formation which is quite large here in the South Island :D

Great video. Thanks for sharing such a great day! Hope to get to New Zealand next February and maybe hit a beach for some hunting. Cheers.

How awesome! A bit jealous . . . plesiosaurs are one of my favorites! I know a few lucky folk who have found some plesiosaur bones here in Texas, but I haven't been one of them (yet). 

[ . . .] to a naturalist who is reading in the face of the rocks the annals of a former world, the mossy covering which obstructs his view, and renders indistinguishable the different species of stone, is no less than a serious subject of regret. - James Hutton