t-tree

As some of you will know i have been showing some of my uncommon find from my years of collecting from opencasts in Derbyshire,UK.

This find is from the coal  measures and is in coal shale that produced fish teeth , fish scales and bivalves it is 18mm long 5mm wide.

I have posted it before along time ago can you give me your opinions of what you think it is Thank-you.

5e74eafc690b8_SAM_1520(2).thumb.jpg.997106872f04e0e1598f1c4e968704eb.jpg

18mm x 5mm

Cheers John

• I found this Informative 13

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Neat fossil John!

It could be from any number of actinopterygian fishes from the Coal measures.   :headscratch:

@Archie

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice specimen!  Looks like it could be prepped a little to show some additional jaw section (right on photo).  Could just be my eyes though.

Whack it in FOTM :) there’s no vertebrate entries yet.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Brilliant find! Those striations at the base of the teeth are similar to those on Rhizodonts like Strepsodus but I think Tim is right with some sort of actinopterygian, the teeth of Rhizodonts tend be be more long and slender.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank- you all for for your comments and help actinopterygian jaw will replace (fish jaw) on my label now.

Cheers John

The absence of clear acrodin caps on the teeth is throwing me for a loop, but that could be damage. General tooth shape might be consistent with something like Progyrolepis.

There's clearly much more of this under the matrix. A little delicate prep might help me nail down a better ID for you.

• I found this Informative 5

17 hours ago, Ash said:

Whack it in FOTM :) there’s no vertebrate entries yet.

I don't believe it was found this month. :( 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

That's right it is a fossil i have showed before but id was only fish jaw :(

1 hour ago, jdp said:

The absence of clear acrodin caps on the teeth is throwing me for a loop, but that could be damage. General tooth shape might be consistent with something like Progyrolepis.

There's clearly much more of this under the matrix. A little delicate prep might help me nail down a better ID for you.

Unfortunately the matrix only covers the top right of the jaw the bottom right just fades at the surface and the matrix slightly dips away  :( Thank-you for taking an interest in the jaw.

John

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Oh dang, my bad. Tis very cool looking, still. Gotta be happy with it :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."