Show us Your Epic Herbivore Teeth!

Huntonia

15 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here are two dugong teeth from South Florida:

2msyt_A.JPG.9239b210469fe007f11a5e1a0918c520.JPG

Dang, those teeth look similar to this one......

DSCN3525.JPG

DSCN3526.JPG

DSCN3527.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

20180204_215431.thumb.jpg.1279137bb68b9b65a05ebd082d9c464c.jpg

One of my favorites. Giant Beaver or Castoroides.

• I found this Informative 2

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

4 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

One of my favorites. Giant Beaver or Castoroides.

Giant beavers are one of my favorites too. I haven't been fortunate enough to add one to my collection as of yet. Did you find this yourself?

Here is my offering for the thread, the humble Equus tooth. It may be a common fossil but the quality is what makes this one. It is fully complete and has a wonderful glossy sheen.

Screenshot_20200321-182835_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1015c82104950bbe9bba49dc2ba3361d.jpg

20200321_184016.thumb.jpg.edca1317c488d0dac5057ca5f341cf5e.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-182910_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0880ecf75faa671896f2e4eee55117b9.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

33 minutes ago, digit said:

Gotta love a great Equus tooth. Where did this one come from?

Cheers.

-Ken

Sadly the only locality information I have is 'Florida'. Fewer and fewer retailers nowadays indicate formation, site, or even general locality.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:06 PM, jpc said:

Here is a Eocene rhino jaw full of herbivore teeth I collected last summer.

IMG_6731b.jpg.3e3bfc0a2fa1315ff58b61ca1ab37c87.jpg

Jpc, any chance you could post a photo of the teeth from the top?  I'm hoping to compare them to a few of my unspecified teeth.  That is a beautiful jaw by the way.

10 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Sadly the only locality information I have is 'Florida'. Fewer and fewer retailers nowadays indicate formation, site, or even general locality.

It looked remarkably like a Florida Equus tooth with its tar black coloration. I was curious if other localities produced similar coloration which is why I asked. I guess there is a reason why it looked so familiar. ;)

Though Cotton Rats (Sigmodon spp.) will occasionally supplement their plant based diet with a few insects for the protein boost, they are primarily herbivores. With great rarity, these little molars turn up while I'm picking through micro-matrix gravel looking for other micro-fossils. Their molars are S-shaped when viewed from above which is the source of the genus name Sigmodon = "S-tooth". No scale in this photo buy you can infer from the size by the ridges of my fingerprints that these are very small and can be easily overlooked.

sigmodon1.jpg     sigmodon2.jpg

07-24-14.jpg     07-24-15.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Jpc, any chance you could post a photo of the teeth from the top?  I'm hoping to compare them to a few of my unspecified teeth.  That is a beautiful jaw by the way.

Here is an oblique view that I think shows their pattern quite well.  

IMG_6900.jpg.e7be601c2771ae0f3cd84d7443d1bce8.jpg

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Wow!  Those some really nice teeth.  I tried to match it to two of my undescribed but couldn't get that lucky.  Is the jaw from a Subhyracodon?  That's a complete (all the teeth) lower left side jaw isn't it?

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow!  Those some really nice teeth.  I tried to match it to two of my undescribed but couldn't get that lucky.  Is the jaw from a Subhyracodon?  That's a complete (all the teeth) lower left side jaw isn't it?

Not Subhyracodon.  This thing is early Eocene (Bridgerian age).  I am looking at my Mammalian Paleofaunas of the World and it seems, there are no true rhinos in the Bridgerian so I am going to back off and call it simply a perissodactyl.  

https://www.minbooks.net/product/26/Mammalian-Paleofaunas-of-the-World-Donald-E-Savage-and-Donald-E-Russell

This book is great for listing what species are found in each age of the Tertiary... not so great at actually IDing stuff.  For that I need to go to the long list of scientific papers.  

It is all premolars and molars. Incisors and canine are not preserved here, if thing guy had any.  

15 hours ago, jpc said:

Hi JP,

That could be from one of the early titanotheres.  @fossillarry

I think it's too big to be from an early tapir or tapiroid but maybe.  Larry would know.  That's his bag.

Jess

On 3/20/2020 at 4:30 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Here's a herbivore:

desmostylus.jpg

Hi Harry,

That color and preservation looks more like one from that Fresno County site around Monocline Ridge than Kern County.

Jess

@isurus90064 @fossillarry

8 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi JP,

That could be from one of the early titanotheres.  @fossillarry

I think it's too big to be from an early tapir or tapiroid but maybe.  Larry would know.  That's his bag.

Jess

You inspired me to do a little resaerch.  Between a few papers I have and could find I am going with the Hyracodontid Fostercooperia grandis,  which is a rhino relative, but not a titanothere.  And it seems this is from the Uintan age beds, which are above the Bridgerian beds in the area I am collectting. I need to do more field research on this.  

And for those interested, here is the paper I used to ID it.

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/1987

The American Museum has wonderfully put all of their pubs online available for free.  Yay AMNH! 

Now back to prepping croc scutes.

19 minutes ago, jpc said:

Now back to prepping croc scutes.

A reasonable thing to be doing at the moment. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

10 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Harry,

That color and preservation looks more like one from that Fresno County site around Monocline Ridge than Kern County.

Jess

@isurus90064 @fossillarry

Hey Jess, Harry,

Looks like typical Coalinga preservation. Also, I have never seen those colors from Roundmountain Silt or other Kern County deposits.

I appreciate the tip.  I got this tooth so long ago, probably from Larry M., that I can't remember any details.  Coalinga, Fresno County, it is!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Over the years, I have been pretty fortunate with Llama_camel

image.png.80d34f3f2fcd066078396143f15198bc.png

image.png.991e269eee380238f69223ab0083332c.png

image.png.abe2d4af1db5470991986eb5631df754.png

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20200324_102828.thumb.jpg.c5b90760cefe7131aa246057de7d9e8b.jpg

Some of my better mammal herb pieces, minus the sperm whales and cave bear teeth. (Giant Sloth, Giant Beaver, Titanothere, partail Mastodon, Oreodonts, Capybara, Wooly Rhino, Hyracodon, Tapir) i have many more, but that's for another day.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Charley, I see (it looks like) two Woolly Rhinoceros teeth - nice.  Where is the Hydracodon tooth located?  Wayne

10 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Charley, I see (it looks like) two Woolly Rhinoceros teeth - nice.  Where is the Hydracodon tooth located?  Wayne

I see it in the back of the case, left to the castoroides and below the larger woolly rhino.

9 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

I see it in the back of the case, left to the castoroides and below the larger woolly rhino.

OK, I see it now - to the right of the Oreodont jaw section?  Looks like it has at least two complete teeth.  Very nice.