I found the eggs shown below at a store located near my house. They're asking a sizeable sum for the cluster I was wondering what I can do to authenticate them. They said they were traded in from an estate sale and before I purchase I would like to know what you guys think.

Eggs.png

They do look like real dinosaurs eggs. But we need better pictures from different angles to tell if they’re restored.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Ramon thank you so much ! Ill get more pics tomorrow. I hate to be a noob but what else should I look for ?

Make sure the eggshell matches in color and texture to the rest of the egg. Sometimes “dinosaur eggs” are partially complete. And they fill in the incomplete parts with egg shell fragments from other eggs, this is called a composite. 

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here at the fossil forum we aren’t allowed to do appraisals of fossil specimens, sorry.

thank you anyway, Im not so much worried about price I just want to know if theyre real and how to tell. 

Have a look at our egg guides for some more info on eggs.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

tim thank you, ive looked at both of your guides hopefully I can get more pics tomorrow and we will see what happens.

Is it an illusion, or are the eggs in the "middle" a different shape and size?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 minute ago, snolly50 said:

Is it an illusion, or are the eggs in the "middle" a different shape and size?

Eggs.png.907451b1c3e26ac7cd19a83edefb7eb0.png

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

We also need the appox size of these eggs any info on where they were found and photos without peanuts 

…. and please try to measure the thickness of the eggshell or take a photo from the side - of course with scale (preferably in mm - there are many Non Americans here). It seems too thick to me (for real eggs).

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I went back today and tried to get some measurements and the guy at the counter said I needed to speak with the owner. the guy I spoke with was afraid to remove them from the box in case they broke when he did so. 

• 4 weeks later...

Based off the ONE picture (that isn't very good!) I think these are real but am concerned about the middle egg of a different size... possible composite?