unusual & extreme fossil cocoon if it is

ivigo

Hello from Greece. Nice to meet you again. 

Before 2 days in a new open road from Greece to Bulgaria i stop at one point along the route to look if i found any interesting rocks or fossils. (the point is in the photo).

I found obsidian, corneal and more, BUT in 7 meters deep down, from the top I saw a small rock protrude from the base rock and it made me curious about the strange lines he had.

With a screwdriver I pulled it out relatively easily as the rock is not too hard. My big surprise was when I held it in my hands. 

It was very tough but very lightweight and is hollow and has something inside him. For sure it is not rock and to say it fossil I know it will be crazy. But it is there in 7 meters deep inside the rock .

I didn't wash it, I didn't clean it at all. It's like I got it out of the rock. 

I've been searching the web for two days to find out what it is. I came to the conclusion that the most likely is that it is an insect cocoon with the insect still in it. An yes i know is crazy .

I would like to ask you to help me with that.

take some good photos but i know from photos is not easy to identify what is. I am sure. When everything calm down from coronovirus i would  go to Athens for examinations. 

The dimension is 10 x 5.5 x 2.5 cm

So thanks everyone for any help....

fossil place.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

17 hours ago, ivigo said:

But it is there in 7 meters deep inside the rock .

It might be worth considering a flooding or landslide event that was some time in the past but not necessarily the arbitrary 10,000 years necessary to consider it a fossil.

• I found this Informative 2

Yes i Know, but the road open as you can see in photo before 5 years only and before this area is a massive land. Without any  human activity before. And the rock is also massive , no hard but massive.

But ok, maybe is not a fossil, but after the crisis with virus i have in my plan to make a trip in Athens , so i would take it with me for examinations. 

Thank you ,

I would guess that one of the workers building the road or someone in a passing vehicle threw it out the window. It looks like a VERY modern specimen.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!