Ammonite Identification Help

Joseph Kapler

This is an ammonite out of an old teaching collection.  Can some one help me with an identification?  The tag (which after 40 years may not be the correct tag) indicates Prionocyelus, Niobrara Formation Albany County, Wyoming.  The ammonite is 2.1 inches in diameter.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

I am sorry that I ‘fat-fingered’ the spelling.  It does not appear to me that it is Prionocyclus, so my question is what might it be.  Thank you for your correction.

Reminds me of some end callovian /oxfordian stuff from les Vaches noires ....Preservation would hint at some russian origin though . All of this based on visual clues only 

Maybe a Cadoceras?  If so, that is Jurassic so the whole label would be wrong, maybe it originally belonged to a different specimen.  I don't know of any Niobrara Formation ammonites that look like that.  

If it is from Wyoming there is a scaphitid ammonites genus, Rhaeboceras, that looks somewhat similar although the umbilicus is smaller than it is in your specimen.  However that genus occurs in the Pierre Shale and equivalent formations which are younger than the Niobrara.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you Don, My wife, also a science teacher, thought it possible that the label was switched sometime during the last 40 year. Cadoceras and especially Rhaeboceras are good leads.  It gives me something to go on.  Thanks.

Cadoceras sublaeve (Sowerby) from Ashton Keynes looks to have the identical ribbing as the specimen in question.

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Joseph Kapler said:

Cadoceras sublaeve (Sowerby) from Ashton Keynes looks to have the identical ribbing as the specimen in question.

Yes, that's the one.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/