Ludwigia

Yesterday I posted something here from my recent trip to the Callovian and now I've just finished prepping something else worth showing. It's a somewhat compressed Macrocephalites jacquoti ammonite with a diameter of 12cm.

A1532b.thumb.jpg.a6ef894e3447f3235204aec518c14a87.jpg

A1532c.thumb.jpg.4ce9996bb09041f76916be05c9d0651b.jpg

You may have noticed, particularly in the second photo, that there's a crack running through it. And this is what happens when you open it up.

A1532a.thumb.jpg.2500363ffd40314c21b1901c868022f2.jpg

It had already broken into these two pieces as I was extracting it at the outcrop. Instead of glueing them back together as I usually do, however, I decided to leave it as is after I'd abraded the shell, since the view of the crystallized chambers is quite pretty. It makes a nice sort of "surprise egg", don't you think?

• I found this Informative 7

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is very cool! It almost makes me want to take a hammer to some of my fossils. Almost... ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

55 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed I do. 

Turned out nice again.:wub:

55 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is a nice "egg" indeed!  :wub:

Don

19 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

That is very cool! It almost makes me want to take a hammer to some of my fossils. Almost... ;)

I'm a happy guy :D I'm placing this one right next to the multiblock. This last trip certainly was worth it.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It makes a nice sort of "surprise egg", don't you think?

More than that ... it is very instructive about the internal structure of the shell. Very nice, thanks for show it.

Ricardo

• I found this Informative 1