Vertebra ID

The Dude

Hello brand new member hello everyone! 

I have been out collecting about 10 times this year in SW Florida found this today, was pretty excited to pull this out of a creek off the peace River .

It's about 75mm wide and 75mm tall (3") it's pretty light weight for it's size .

Thank you if you can help identify.

P_20200321_180440_LL.jpg

P_20200321_180428_LL.jpg

P_20200321_180413_LL.jpg

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Given the size and "ball and socket" configuration, I would say likely Alligator/ Croc.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertebra ID
  • 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:03 PM, caldigger said:

Given the size and "ball and socket" configuration, I would say likely Alligator/ Croc.

I have looked at many pictures. I had another post I created everyone says alligator/ Croc

this, while having the "ball and socket" as mentioned, many things have this. I am attaching a picture from my other post (first pic) and more pics of this vert. The pic from my other post shows the "ball" end to be very round. This one has more of a heart shape. Looking for opinions with the new pics I put up, thank you all! 

toe1.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

The little holes to the side of the ball and socket say it is a mammal cervical vertebra.  Which animal?... ask Harry.  

Yes , thank you I thought the same as my original guess was bison . I am always messaging Harry lol I may just wait see who else chimes in , thanks for the post!

Vertebrae and ribs are really challenging for me.  Ask me about any other post-cranial bone, and I may have a guess.  In this case all I can offer is a horse (likely Neohipparion sp.) for comparison.

horsecervicalvertebra.jpg.bb4ba0ca77d46855f93906eb1e6efe68.jpg

horsecervicalvertebraB.jpg.a04a05b462ca86bf2a60b17d77823d31.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks Harry, close but still don't look right, missing the 2 holes to either side of the center hole heres better pic. I also found a previous fossil of the month entry (Jan, 2020) that looks similar but is from poland, far away from Florida (second Image)

thoughts?

xxxxxxx.jpg

image1.png.9dd057e358a5428bb53eb1a3cda02d75.png