T-rex tooth?

dinosaur man

Hi it is my Birthday today, and since it is my birthday I was going to get some fossils. I found this and am wondering if it’s a genuine tooth and if it’s a T-rex or not, if that’s possible through the sellers photos.

6177CCF6-84E4-4157-BEE9-D543D2263617.jpeg

092148DE-4BC8-4CF6-9F74-3BF64B56E206.jpeg

64D22B5D-515D-4C6A-A5A8-DA37C541CAC2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Happy birthday! I don’t believe Nanotyrannus has been described from the Lance Formation but I believe it is reasonable to assume it inhabited as well if it’s nearly identical to the Hell Creek formation. The cross section photo is a bit blurry for me to make a definitive call.

• I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Happy birthday! I don’t believe Nanotyrannus has been described from the Lance Formation but I believe it is reasonable to assume it inhabited as well if it’s nearly identical to the Hell Creek formation. The cross section photo is a bit blurry for me to make a definitive call.

Thank you!!

I'm fairly positive it's Nano. I don't know if it's been described from the Lance but it's equivalent in time and fauna to Hell Creek so anything you find in there, you have the potential to find in the same age rocks from Wyoming. I've found a few Nano teeth myself in the Lance. 

• I found this Informative 4

56 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I'm fairly positive it's Nano. I don't know if it's been described from the Lance but it's equivalent in time and fauna to Hell Creek so anything you find in there, you have the potential to find in the same age rocks from Wyoming. I've found a few Nano teeth myself in the Lance. 

Thank you!!, I thought it was T-rex because I didn’t see the pinch at the base, it looks more like a Rex.

Please bare in mind that the seller sits in the UK and there might be shipping problems due to the virus outbreak and shutdown right now.

Here are two a not so blurry pictures of the tooth.

@Troodon might help for ID

1378x1080.jpg.d37d6e598153fc9a287b62d4835ff398.jpg

1378x108011.jpg.f8156d81f4f38d248d54f90d5dbf5224.jpg

8 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

shipping problems due to the virus outbreak

At the moment postage from the U.K. is unaffected . :dinothumb:

I could see why the seller identified it has an unknown Theropod and applaud him for not trying to force a name on it like MOST others but I think we can get a bit closer.    It has several characteristics of a juvie Maxillary T rex tooth, no pinching at the base, a robust tip with serrations that appear to go from one carina to the other.  However I cannot unambiguously say its one because its thin, preservation not the best and photos can lead to a deceptive read on these close calls.  I would call it an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid but if I was holding it might have a different response.  

• I found this Informative 4

19 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I could see why the seller identified it has an unknown Theropod and applaud him for not trying to force a name on it like MOST others but I think we can get a bit closer.    It has several characteristics of a juvie Maxillary T rex tooth, no pinching at the base, a robust tip with serrations that appear to go from one carina to the other.  However I cannot unambiguously say its one because its thin, preservation not the best and photos can lead to a deceptive read on these close calls.  I would call it an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid but if I was holding it might have a different response.  

Thank you Troodon!!

On 3/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, dinosaur man said:

Hi it is my Birthday today, and since it is my birthday I was going to get some fossils. I found this and am wondering if it’s a genuine tooth and if it’s a T-rex or not, if that’s possible through the sellers photos.

6177CCF6-84E4-4157-BEE9-D543D2263617.jpeg

092148DE-4BC8-4CF6-9F74-3BF64B56E206.jpeg

64D22B5D-515D-4C6A-A5A8-DA37C541CAC2.jpeg

Happy Birthday, congrats on the cool fossil!

48 minutes ago, Masp said:

Happy Birthday, congrats on the cool fossil!

Thank you!! but I have not got it yet 

3 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Thank you!! but I have not got it yet 

Got you..I’m sure you will treat yourself to a nice bday fossil gift :dinothumb:

1 hour ago, Masp said:

Got you..I’m sure you will treat yourself to a nice bday fossil gift :dinothumb:

Yep :D