Help Identify These Fossils Rocks - Lake Michigan

bluebit25

I collected some weird fossil rocks today from Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, what are they?

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

The first featured one is a polished piece of coral and I think that last one is cross sections through lots of bits of crinoid stem. 

The one in the middle could be showing the chambers of a nautiloid. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome to the forum bluebit! Just like you, I collect fossils and geo rocks on Lake Michigan beaches of southern WI as well as my hometown beaches in northern Illinois. 

I believe the fossil in your first photo might be an aphroid colonial rugose coral. I believe I can see the shape of a corallite in your  photo.  A focused picture of the top would help us see any details if they are preserved.

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.50d4644e2fe1fe05384c7b5c1d5ece75.thumb.jpg.0acace685c3946acba958feff92720df.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I found something that looks just like that fossil. I started an ID help thread and super knowledgeable and always helpful @TqB suggested to google "aphroid coral", as it might be something like  Arachnophyllum or similar (Silurian). 

Here is that thread for comparison: 

• I found this Informative 2

The first is certainly a chunk of bubbly dissepiments from a rugose coral - it could well be a fragment of an aphroid one as @Pippa suggests (thanks for the kind comments!) but there may not be enough of it to be sure.

The second looks like fragments of rugose coral with shelly bits. The chambered bit seems to be a tangential section through some rugose septa i.e. the outside edge of a solitary horn coral) and the toothed bit at the top of its last photo shows the same thing in transverse section.

The last one looks like a syringoporid tabulate coral, probably Syringopora itself. You can see infundibuliform (funnel shaped) tabulae and connecting tubes. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

8 hours ago, Pippa said:

I started an ID help thread and super knowledgeable and always helpful @TqB

I agree! @TqB is always very helpful and knowledgeable. Especially about all things coral. I have learned more than a few things from him. I also agree with his assessment of what you have. :) 

@bluebit25
I love you first specimen with the dissepiments visible. :wub:

I’m always torn between polishing fossils or not polishing them. Some polished specimens can be very beautiful and display well, but you may polish away important details, and make the specimen unrecognizable, to get to the beautiful part.

However, when nature makes the decision for you, it’s easy to appreciate the exposed beauty of the polished.

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

9 hours ago, Pippa said:

Welcome to the forum bluebit! Just like you, I collect fossils and geo rocks on Lake Michigan beaches of southern WI as well as my hometown beaches in northern Illinois. 

I believe the fossil in your first photo might be an aphroid colonial rugose coral. I believe I can see the shape of a corallite in your  photo.  A focused picture of the top would help us see any details if they are preserved.

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.50d4644e2fe1fe05384c7b5c1d5ece75.thumb.jpg.0acace685c3946acba958feff92720df.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I found something that looks just like that fossil. I started an ID help thread and super knowledgeable and always helpful @TqB suggested to google "aphroid coral", as it might be something like  Arachnophyllum or similar (Silurian). 

Here is that thread for comparison: 

I made some more pics and a video, I hope it will help. Since it's crystallized I can shine light thru it :)

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

I made two videos, but my video skills aren't the best.

Edited by bluebit25