ammonite identification

D.R. Johnson

Hi, my son and I have a large collection of fossils, some of which we found ourselves on the Jurassic coast of England. As we are now mostly confined to our houses here we were hoping to better document our collection and we were hoping to put the correct names to them all. To start I was hoping that someone could help us out by identifying which ammonites these are. They were all found in Lyme Regis and they are all preserved in iron pyrite. Thanks.

IMG_20200322_182542.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Pterygotus said:

Most if not all are promicroceras.

Brilliant thank you very much for that.

Just now, D.R. Johnson said:

Brilliant thank you very much for that.

No problem. I think they’re promicroceras pyritosum as I edited into my reply above. Some of them could be a different genera.

4 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

No problem. I think they’re promicroceras pyritosum as I edited into my reply above. Some of them could be a different genera.

Ok thanks, I have another ammonite which has a strange growth on it, would you be willing to take a look at that one too?

1 minute ago, D.R. Johnson said:

Ok thanks, I have another ammonite which has a strange growth on it, would you be willing to take a look at that one too?

Yes sure I’d love too :).

4 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Yes sure I’d love too :).

Thank you. The Ammonite appears to have a growth. Though you cannot see it very well on the picture, the shell appears distorted by it.  

IMG_20200322_184849.jpg

I think this is another prom. I’ve seen this kind of growth somewhere else on the forum before. I’ll try to find it...

2 minutes ago, D.R. Johnson said:

Thank you. The Ammonite appears to have a growth. Though you cannot see it very well on the picture, the shell appears distorted by it.  

IMG_20200322_184849.jpg

Here :).

AB81CB11-8C64-42B4-8CA6-879FB6D0FE73.jpeg

The two bottom right of the original photo and the one above the bottom right specimen are different. 

Maybe tiny Lytoceras? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The two bottom right of the original photo and the one above the bottom right specimen are different. 

Maybe tiny Lytoceras? 

I don’t think lytoceras but maybe some other species.

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

Here :).

AB81CB11-8C64-42B4-8CA6-879FB6D0FE73.jpeg

Hi, so the growth is called a serpulip and it grows along with the ammonite like a parasite?

23 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

I don’t think lytoceras but maybe some other species.

Thank you very much for the information.

2 hours ago, D.R. Johnson said:

Hi, so the growth is called a serpulip and it grows along with the ammonite like a parasite?

I think you meant to type a 'd' instead of a 'p', right? A serpulid is a worm that lives in a tube, which is why the layman's term for it is tube worm. It's not a parasite, but rather what is called an epizoan, or something which uses the hard substrat of the shell to settle on. Oysters like to do that as well. Your specimen is something special in my eyes.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, Ludwigia said:

I think you meant to type a 'd' instead of a 'p', right? A serpulid is a worm that lives in a tube, which is why the layman's term for it is tube worm. It's not a parasite, but rather what is called an epizoan, or something which uses the hard substrat of the shell to settle on. Oysters like to do that as well. Your specimen is something special in my eyes.

Sorry for the late thanks but thank you for the information.