its.just.alec

Mazon Creek Research Help

its.just.alec

Hello, I am a local undergrad geology student working on a research project dealing with Mazon Creek's Braidwood and Essex Biota. As part of this research, I am required to collect specimens and data on both of these assemblages present. I have been informed that any access to the Fish and Wildlife areas in the Mazonia-Braidwood South Unit is prohibited due to the Illinois DNR's indefinite closure of all fish and wildlife areas, so I am taking this time to research and inquire about access to both assemblages for future reference. That being said, my questions are as follows:

Are there certain areas within the public access sites that I should specifically be searching within that may contain a large diversity of specimens available for collection?

Are there any landowners within the Braidwood Biota that are easy to contact and willing to allow people to collect on their land?

Are there any public access sites to the Braidwood Biota or to the Mazon River itself for collecting?

Are there any papers or articles I can reference that may aid me in my research?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

connorp
53 minutes ago, its.just.alec said:

Are there certain areas within the public access sites that I should specifically be searching within that may contain a large diversity of specimens available for collection?

Pit 11 is fairly homogenous to my knowledge. Some areas may have nodules which are slightly more likely to contain fossils, but that's about it.

Are there any landowners within the Braidwood Biota that are easy to contact and willing to allow people to collect on their land?

There are landowners that sometimes allow access but I have been told not to publicize contact information, and I doubt anyone wants visitors on their land with the pandemic right now.

Are there any public access sites to the Braidwood Biota or to the Mazon River itself for collecting?

No.

Are there any papers or articles I can reference that may aid me in my research?

What exactly is your research?

I don't mean to be rude but you're basically asking people for information that may have taken years to cultivate. Mazon Creek is hard to hunt these days, no one is going to publicize such information. If you want to find stuff, you need to put in the work.

Your best bet is to wait until Pit 11 reopens, or join ESCONI and hope we end up having our yearly trips to the private spoil pile in Braceville.

Good luck with your research.

its.just.alec

Thank you all for the information! I understand enough about the two assemblages to know that no one is just going to easily give up what they know and where they've been collecting, but I figured I might as well have asked.

As for the research I'm conducting, I am not quite sure as to what I need to be doing or what I'll be looking for exactly. I spoke briefly with my professor at my university before this pandemic broke out to know that I've been assigned to this, but with all of my college courses online and access to campus restricted, I have not gotten to speak with him to figure out exactly what we'll be doing. I turned to TFF to ask around and to get a better understanding of where I can and cannot collect from with regards to the Mazon River and the Braidwood Biota and to find out more about my previously posted questions. 

Again, I thank you both for the help, as it is very much appreciated, and I will certainly try my best to join the TFF hunts if I can!

Thank you,

Alec

connorp

One more option is the I&M Canal tour at the end of August. Maybe you could get funding from your school to go, as you’ll definitely find a lot of nice plant fossils that might help your research. It costs $150 to go, and allows you access to private land along the actual Mazon Creek.

https://iandmcanal.org/event/mazon-creek-fossil-tour-2019/