Jump to content

Recommended Posts

DawnOfADream

Hello again everyone! This is a specimen that was advertised as a Hydrosaurus Lingyuanensis.

 

The specimen appears to have had some serious restorative attempts done at from the centre to the lower body. 

 

I wanted to ask if you could please let me know what you think regarding the authenticity of the specimen - particularly the areas that haven't been modified. The first image acts as a refernece, showing the approximate area where the photos have been taken.

Thank you in advance. 

 

Frontal image + reference 

PicsArt_03-23-10_53.31-min.thumb.jpg.ede1b31f6f1a0e6b14e9ba2db3812646.jpg

 

Back of specimen

20200323_222654-min.thumb.jpg.0ed8fe38abbbb19262be599f0a41694d.jpg

 

 

 

Image 1 - tip of skull

20200323_223243-min.thumb.jpg.e9759dccc7f4d275f5b6121ef6a09fd7.jpg

 

 

2 - Neck vertebrae

20200323_223258-min.thumb.jpg.fbd8253e642ae55824183c847fd34a28.jpg

 

 

3 - upper body, just below neck

20200323_223926-min.thumb.jpg.23f696fd6148ab6e6a1864a35f9976df.jpg

 

 

4 - painted on (?) front foot

20200323_223329-min.thumb.jpg.5645a95c0f3c027dad805f52f88c3a5d.jpg

 

 

 

5- back foot, not looking great either 

20200323_223413-min.thumb.jpg.44fd738114b4d82a7ed518d661c561af.jpg

 

 

 

6 - tail vertebrae

20200323_223345-min.thumb.jpg.9c740f4d713feebae2576d87fb5c89a8.jpg

 

 

 

7 - not even sure what I'm looking at 

20200323_225135-min.thumb.jpg.85cb1bbbdd2bf50edd443b7ebe35666d.jpg

 

 

Real ribs on the left with some terribly drawn ribs? 

20200323_225422-min.thumb.jpg.15cf307912e46a12eaee642485dd8708.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pterygotus

I’m no expert but it looks pretty bad in my opinion, I could be wrong though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon

We need clearer photo's to be able to help I am affraid, it's hard to see any bone detail on these pics.
Looks painted to me but that could just be the photo's

A big red flag for me though that fact that is was advertised as "Hydrosaurus lingyuanensis", no fossil critter by that name. 
Hydrosaurus also known as Sailfin lizards are a genus of living agama's and your creature doesn't match the skeleton of modern Hydrosaurus.

158497469526742723.jpg.d4fce24c09489c4c3b5653fbeb89b190.jpg

 

I would honestly stay away from this one, smells a bit fishy to me

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oilshale

 

52 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

We need clearer photo's to be able to help I am affraid, it's hard to see any bone detail on these pics.
Looks painted to me but that could just be the photo's

A big red flag for me though that fact that is was advertised as "Hydrosaurus lingyuanensis", no fossil critter by that name. 
Hydrosaurus also known as Sailfin lizards are a genus of living agama's and your creature doesn't match the skeleton of modern Hydrosaurus.

158497469526742723.jpg.d4fce24c09489c4c3b5653fbeb89b190.jpg

 

I would honestly stay away from this one, smells a bit fishy to me

 

 

Hyphalosaurus lingyuanensis - not Hydrosaurus lingyuanensisThe caption is correct (but the pictures look suspicious).

Osteology and taxonomic revision of Hyphalosaurus Diapsida Choristodera from the Lower Cretaceous of Liaoning China.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bguild

I'm in the camp that a lot of work has been done to this one. The mid torso and upper tail look real based on the photos, but the bone its pretty worn. Based off this image I think the areas in blue are painted on. The upper neck and head might be okay, but if you have a closer shot of the neck/skull in its entirety that would be helpful! All in all, I would look for a less restored Hyphalosaurus.

 

Untitled.thumb.png.38f9135b011978e5109c14ca1ab03fa2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ziggycardon
3 hours ago, oilshale said:

 

Hyphalosaurus lingyuanensis - not Hydrosaurus lingyuanensisThe caption is correct (but the pictures look suspicious).

Osteology and taxonomic revision of Hyphalosaurus Diapsida Choristodera from the Lower Cretaceous of Liaoning China.pdf

whoopsie, didn't read the tumbnail only the description in the post :DOH:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DawnOfADream

Thanks for your input, everyone! 

I also forgot to mention that I did the heated pin test on the tail, neck vertebrae and on one of the leg bones, which turned out fine. Didn't work so well on the dodgy rib area though!

7 hours ago, Bguild said:

if you have a closer shot of the neck/skull in its entirety that would be helpful!

@Bguild I've attached two photos showing the head and neck, let me know if they are helpful, otherwise I can try again.

20200324_105119-min.jpg.ccb114b1d12966ce9cceb349168a9d4e.jpg20200324_105140-min.jpg.6d333f9f023be25afcd4f9d0c74b1eae.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen

I would say it is a genuine specimen of Hyphalosaurus, whether it is lingyuanensis or baitaigouensis I could not see it clearly from the photos.  The specimen is not prepped very nicely though, the bones of the body part are mostly worn off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DawnOfADream

Thanks @Crazyhen

I'll have to look for better specimens in the future once the COVID-19 shutdown ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix
10 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I would say it is a genuine specimen of Hyphalosaurus, whether it is lingyuanensis or baitaigouensis I could not see it clearly from the photos.  The specimen is not prepped very nicely though, the bones of the body part are mostly worn off.

I agree. Just very bad prep (grinder probably), not much has been left from the bones.

P.S.: Be aware, that most of the fossil vertebrates of China are banned from export/import...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DawnOfADream
2 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

I agree. Just very bad prep (grinder probably), not much has been left from the bones.

P.S.: Be aware, that most of the fossil vertebrates of China are banned from export/import...

 

Thanks for your response! Happy to hear you think it's genuine.

In regards to export, this one was from an old British collection from the 1980's so I think (and hope) I'm out of trouble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix
5 minutes ago, DawnOfADream said:

In regards to export, this one was from an old British collection from the 1980's so I think (and hope) I'm out of trouble!

Who knows....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bguild

The head and neck look genuine. Thanks for the additional shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daves64

I may be way off, but the area circled (sort of) in white looks like completely different rock from the rest, & the tail alignment with the body right at that point looks off. Combined with how the back of the thing looks, I'm thinking maybe 2 partials with some painted bones in between? I could be wrong. :shrug:

PicsArt_03-23-10_53.31-min.jpg.393622aea0b79b7ad80e86a7f7a86bf3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DawnOfADream

Thanks @Bguild and @daves64, I really appreciate your help and insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×