deutscheben

I wanted to join the squad of great Mazon ID threads we have had in the last week. These two were found split on my opening day trip to Mazonia-Braidwood/Pit 11. I only found half of the first one. It doesn't look like much, and it may be nothing, but its worth asking!

5e7970858a9e6_2020-03-0717_00_35.thumb.jpg.82915c1cc19cf1365700786182e5c44c.jpg

The second one was split, but both halves were present. It is much more clearly something, but I'm not sure what, as there are not any clear features, although it is preserved with good definition and a nice contrasting color. 

5e797174b94fb_2020-03-0416_25_14.thumb.jpg.b773fb121d1e8e2be188e1cf110835ae.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Gosh these are the kind that keep me up at night. I have a drawer filled with ones that might be something but probably aren't, but I"m not willing to get rid of them just in case. I'm not seeing much in the first one but you are right that the second is definitely something. I wonder if it is some kind of plant material. The color is sort of funny, I can't remember seeing something preserved that looks yellowish. Sorry I'm not any help!

• I found this Informative 2

I’m not seeing anything on the first one.

it is a nice shape and you could try freeze thawing it and see if anything more pops out.

The second one is quite interesting.

My initial impression is a section of bone of cartilage. It is not well preserved but would be worth looking at under a microscope to see if there is any discernible structures along the edges.

It could also be a burrow or a plant stem but the edges seem pretty straight.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks @RCFossils and @bigred97. I had a look at it under magnification, and could not see any distinctive structure or pattern, although there are some areas of darker mineralization in spots, and the part on the right edge in the picure above definitely has a macro wrinkled texture. 

• I found this Informative 1

I think the first is a poorly preserved jelly.  The second seems to be a stem as Rob suggested.

I also have a bunch of stuff like this.  Too bad everything isn't perfect!

Cheers,

Rich