Triops longicaudatus?? ID request

Ruger9a

Good morning folks.  I have a plate containing two of what I 'believe" to be Triops longicaudatus specimens.  I purchased it from China years ago and it was listed as "tadpoles from China".  My research leads me to the Triops species, am I correct?  If not, please point me in the right direction.  The largest specimen measures 9cm x 4.2cm.  Help......

20200324_101100 (2).jpg

20200324_101110 (2).jpg

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks correct to me.

Very nice.:)

Thank you!  It's amazing to me that the name hasn't changed.  I would have thought the fossils would have been given a different name.  But, if the species remained unchanged for 50 million years I guess they figured - why bother?

• I found this Informative 1

Triops longicaudatus is the extant species.  Notostraca oleseni,  Weichangiops rotundus and W. triangularis are cretaceous species from China. Names have changed...

• I found this Informative 5

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

4 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Triops longicaudatus is the extant species.  Notostraca,  Weichangiops rotundus and W. triangularis are cretaceous species from China

Thanks Oilshale.  I didn't know that:-0  They don't differentiate on the wiki page I researched, or I just missed it.  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

Triops longicaudatus is the extant species.  Notostraca oleseni,  Weichangiops rotundus and W. triangularis are cretaceous species from China. Names have changed...

Thanks.

I missed this as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

Oilshale, I forgot to ask, is the specimen a Weichangiops rotundus or triangularis?

Sorry, I made a mistake: Weichangiops rotundus and W. triangularis are both from the Upper Jurassic Dabeiguo Formation whereas Notostraca oleseni, Jeholops hongi and Chenops yixianensis are from the Early Cretaceous (Yixian Formation). 

Sorry, I have no idea about tadpole shrimps - I haven't dealt with that yet. Except for this article I have no further literature:

Wagner et al. (2019) A new calmanostracan crustacean species from the Cretaceous Yixian Formation and a simple approach for differentiating fossil tadpole shrimps and their relatives. Zoological Letters    (2019) 5:20  (9,1MB) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333862466_A_new_calmanostracan_crustacean_species_from_the_Cretaceous_Yixian_Formation_and_a_simple_approach_for_differentiating_fossil_tadpole_shrimps_and_their_relatives

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

26 minutes ago, oilshale said:

...whereas Notostraca oleseni, Jeholops hongi and Chenops yixianensis are from the Early Cretaceous (Yixian Formation).

Here is the Chenops/Jeholops paper:

Hegna, T.A., Ren, D. 2010

Two new “Notostracans”, Chenops gen. nov. and Jeholops gen. nov. (Crustacea: Branchiopoda:? Notostraca) from the Yixian Formation, Northeastern China.

Acta Geologica Sinica‐English Edition, 84(4):886-894  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Here is the Chenops/Jeholops paper:

Hegna, T.A., Ren, D. 2010

Two new “Notostracans”, Chenops gen. nov. and Jeholops gen. nov. (Crustacea: Branchiopoda:? Notostraca) from the Yixian Formation, Northeastern China.

Acta Geologica Sinica‐English Edition, 84(4):886-894  PDF LINK

Thanks Piranha. but this is all I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Request has expired</Message><X-Amz-Expires>3600</X-Amz-Expires><Expires>2020-03-24T22:38:49Z</Expires><ServerTime>2020-03-24T23:52:40Z</ServerTime><RequestId>D9B24A1E0D4C9E77</RequestId><HostId>6Gq/XP1aPalAQ28WYNa8lu2NY7yKaYJjfD3n6IfKTtgbYmBBXYQR+LcsXSbt8qESpBzk/MbZHUE=</HostId></Error>

2 hours ago, oilshale said:

Sorry, I made a mistake: Weichangiops rotundus and W. triangularis are both from the Upper Jurassic Dabeiguo Formation whereas Notostraca oleseni, Jeholops hongi and Chenops yixianensis are from the Early Cretaceous (Yixian Formation). 

Sorry, I have no idea about tadpole shrimps - I haven't dealt with that yet. Except for this article I have no further literature:

Wagner et al. (2019) A new calmanostracan crustacean species from the Cretaceous Yixian Formation and a simple approach for differentiating fossil tadpole shrimps and their relatives. Zoological Letters    (2019) 5:20  (9,1MB) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333862466_A_new_calmanostracan_crustacean_species_from_the_Cretaceous_Yixian_Formation_and_a_simple_approach_for_differentiating_fossil_tadpole_shrimps_and_their_relatives

This one worked just fine, thanks Oilshale!

Hey @Ruger9a, these guys showed up around here after the rains the other month. They really don’t look any different.

BFE86F42-1B64-46F8-83C0-3DCCF648144A.png

001B896B-ACBE-4ACD-8CFC-E07B5C3A6D17.png

8C7BB17B-1C83-483E-8088-9A495ADE4CD8.png

• I found this Informative 2

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

7 minutes ago, Ash said:

Hey @Ruger9a, these guys showed up around here after the rains the other month. They really don’t look any different.

Now that's neat, to see them in a modern environment.  I believe those are actually the Triops longicaudatus, species I mistook for my examples.   Just think, in only 350 MYs you can come back and see if they look like mine do now, LOL.  Seriously, all this and previous research without an exact match is driving me batty right now!  Thanks Ash. 

The ones in my pic are Triops australiensis, I should clarify. Love these little guys. First time I’ve seen them in over 10 years. Probably about 15 or so. Seeing your fossil ones was great :)

As for natural habitat - these guys were in a puddle beside the road. Weird where they turn up.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I "think" I found a match to my specimens - Strudops goldenbergi.   It looks exactly like mine, including the shape of the capris AND it matches the photos exactly.  But it not from China, it's from arthropod fauna from the Upper Devonian of Strud, Belgium??? 

https://morphobank.org/index.php/Projects/ProjectOverview/project_id/1278

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

15 minutes ago, Ash said:

The ones in my pic are Triops australiensis, I should clarify. Love these little guys. First time I’ve seen them in over 10 years. Probably about 15 or so. Seeing your fossil ones was great :)

As for natural habitat - these guys were in a puddle beside the road. Weird where they turn up.

I probably would have brought one home and put it in a fish bowl to admire it:-)  Since I've never seen a live one.  Thanks for sharing your find, great photos.

Well it's official folks, it's a Weichangiops species.  I just received word from Doctor Thomas Hegna:

Wayne,

I've spent some time in China looking at exactly this type of fossil. I suspect that they are Weichangiops sp. (and that Notostraca oleseni is a synonym of that genus). The problem is that the type specimen of Weichangiops was lost--thus we cannot compare the newer specimens to the original specimens. Strudops has a wider opening at the rear of the carapace, and the rear of the carapace is shaped differently (more half-circle in your specimens). Plus, Strudops is quite a bit older than I am guessing your specimens are--Devonian versus Cretaceous.

Best,

Tom