My fossil display area!

Monica

The whole room looks great- very cohesive, with lovely art choices complementing your collection. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Monica you did a great job on your fossil displays- congrats and can’t wait to see it grow.

Thanks, Ralph! :dinothumb:

8 hours ago, deutscheben said:

The whole room looks great- very cohesive, with lovely art choices complementing your collection. 

Thanks, Ben! :)

11 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Monica you did a great job on your fossil displays- congrats and can’t wait to see it grow.

I hear Monica has been in touch with the architects and the plans for the new wing and great hall are nearly finalized. The cafeteria and IMAX will follow in phase 2. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

That is awesome...... You have put me to shame..... you know how unorganized I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........ 

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

That is awesome...... You have put me to shame..... you know how unorganized I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........ 

Well, up until last summer all of my fossils were in boxes.  The move to this house (which has more space than our old house), and the purchase of the cabinets and end tables by my mother-in-law and husband really pushed me to get my fossils organized, and it feels great to have it done!!!  Now I'm ahead of my husband in organizing our little collections - my fossil area is pretty much done (with the exception of Viola's fossils, which still have to be organized), but Derek's Star Wars room is still a work-in-progress, so in my opinion, I win! :P

Re: your level of organization - hey, as long as you know where everything is, it works! :dinothumb:

Great job, Monica! I can only echo what others have said: "I have a ways to go before my fossil area looks as good", and "It looks like a museum". Actually it looks better than some museum displays that I have seen, but maybe that's a matter if taste, as I prefer shelf space to be packed with fossils rather than sparsely populated (which is maybe only by necessity for those of us with little space and lots of fossils), and the labels being there with each specimen so that you don't have to refer to a book/computer file or ask the curator "what's that and where's it from?"  ;)

What will you do if you have to expand the display, or do you plan to just upgrade the fossils instead as you acquire more/better ones?

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Great job, Monica! I can only echo what others have said: "I have a ways to go before my fossil area looks as good", and "It looks like a museum". Actually it looks better than some museum displays that I have seen, but maybe that's a matter if taste, as I prefer shelf space to be packed with fossils rather than sparsely populated (which is maybe only by necessity for those of us with little space and lots of fossils), and the labels being there with each specimen so that you don't have to refer to a book/computer file or ask the curator "what's that and where's it from?"  ;)

What will you do if you have to expand the display, or do you plan to just upgrade the fossils instead as you acquire more/better ones?

Thanks for the compliments, Eric!

My husband and I were just talking yesterday about what I'm going to do if/when I find/acquire more fossils...

I think for now, I'll just upgrade the fossils I have on display, or perhaps have a "rotation" going - keep one fossil up for 6 months, and then switch it out for another for 6 months, and then repeat (keeping the labels, of course, so I don't have to keep writing new ones).  Eventually, I suppose I could get a third cabinet (likely a different style/design, since I don't think these ones are up for sale anymore - at least not from the website we used 2 years ago) and put it in between the other two, and move the smaller one (the one with my Miocene-Pleistocene stuff that will hold Viola's fossils below) to the side, but I think that'll be a ways in the future, so I'll worry about that later.

I hope that all is well with you out in BC!!!

3 hours ago, Monica said:

if/when I find/acquire more fossils...

I didn't know there was an 'if'. :P

I have no doubt that you'll find the perfect display cabinet when the time comes. Keep your eye out for and map drawers as the shallow drawers make excellent places to store and display a large number of specimens. I suspect Derek has turned on the force field in his Star Wars room to repel any encroachment into his space. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Monica, the next time I make a wish, birthday, falling star, or whatever, im gunna wish that I had half of your orginizational skills!!!

RB

38 minutes ago, digit said:

I didn't know there was an 'if'. :P

I have no doubt that you'll find the perfect display cabinet when the time comes. Keep your eye out for and map drawers as the shallow drawers make excellent places to store and display a large number of specimens. I suspect Derek has turned on the force field in his Star Wars room to repel any encroachment into his space. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Derek's Star Wars room is already pretty packed - my fossils would certainly not fit in there! 

As for finding more space/storage for future fossils - I'm sure I'll find something that works for me.  Until then, I'm just enjoying what I have already set up. :)

Re: finding more fossils - I certainly plan on it!!!  But I only plan on displaying my favourites, so it's likely that if I find a new favourite, it will just displace a less-nice specimen, which might then be used for trades/forum auctions/etc.

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hi Monica, the next time I make a wish, birthday, falling star, or whatever, im gunna wish that I had half of your orginizational skills!!!

RB

Thanks, Ron!  Organizing stuff is a strength of mine - I'd say it's one of the skills shared by all teachers.  My problem is procrastination - I take forever to start a project!!!  However, when I do commit and begin a project, you'd better believe that I finish it!

Yes, my biggest problem is procrastination too - that and not being able to dispose of extraneous stuff. But at least I've made a good effort at organization!

I do recommend those shallow drawers that Ken speaks of - If you end up with an extensive collection, it's the best means I can think of to make use of space. I've noticed they're not easy to find, though, so I've had to build most of them (with help).. I may have shown you some of mine before, but I'll do it again. The top surfaces can be used to display larger pieces that don't fit in the drawers, but I find it's not enough and I need to find more means of displaying the larger ones. Still many of these on the windowsills and floor, and in stacks of boxes in the house and the shed... (The first step is admitting you have a problem ;) )

DSC_0179-shr.jpg.b0276a15ba9892b80c8fe58501ed4cf1.jpgDSC_0178-shr.jpg.7bd1410ef441ebf03a3e91deaf7ded9b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Lovely display area. Very nice composition of everything too.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Lovely display area. Very nice composition of everything too.

Thank you! :)

On 3/29/2020 at 3:54 AM, Monica said:

Your fossil display area looks great, Eric! @Wrangellian

Well that part of it looks good.. ^_^ Thanks Monica.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:18 AM, Monica said:

Thanks, Ron!  Organizing stuff is a strength of mine - I'd say it's one of the skills shared by all teachers.  My problem is procrastination - I take forever to start a project!!!  However, when I do commit and begin a project, you'd better believe that I finish it!

You dont have to worry about the problem of procrastination,,, you can always do it tomorrow.  :)

RB

That looks really, really good!

I especially like your fossil art.

I am working on my own displays, but they are not quite that... neatly organized!  

45 minutes ago, aplomado said:

That looks really, really good!

I especially like your fossil art.

I am working on my own displays, but they are not quite that... neatly organized!  

Thanks for the compliments!  This display area represents many, many hours of work - mostly last summer - and I'm very happy with the end result.  Next I'll have to help my 9-year-old daughter organize her fossils so there is still work to be done (although I hope it'll be less time-consuming :fingerscrossed:).