Scallop i.d.? Unidentified fossil

Bonehunter

Good morning!

I was hiking along a park path when I inspected a large boulder and found these two fossils, the first of which is similar to modern day scallop. I didn't have anything to measure with -my apologies, but it was approximately 1 1/4" in height and 1" across. the other object has some faint lines/rays emanating from ~9:00 to 2:00, but not sure it is overlying the underside of another shell, or is part of the fossil. This one is approximately 1 1/2" x 3/4 " Any thoughts and suggestions on i.d.s welcome and encouraged!..... not sure I could remove the scallop intact but thoughts on how to do that as well?   Bone

IMG_0219.jpg.d231568e6c72ad375e96991fd7dbe889.jpgIMG_0220.jpg.0cf9990346def13a05d9e62ac33e3ac9.jpg

Thanks!!- what's the best way to chip the fossil out? The boulder is far too large to move...

25 minutes ago, Bonehunter said:

Thanks!!- what's the best way to chip the fossil out? The boulder is far too large to move...

Do you have a hammer and chisel?

Yep- several, several sizes, etc. .....how far away from the fossil do I start? How do I "lift" it intact?............

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Bonehunter said:

Yep- several, several sizes, etc. .....how far away from the fossil do I start? How do I "lift" it intact?............

I would start far away enough that the chisel won’t prise parts of the shell off it. I would then dig deep trenches in a rectangle around the fossil and after that hit the chisel sideways to try and get it to come off in one or two blocks. It will most likely not come off in one piece because fossils on boulders are notoriously hard to extract. Someone else may have a better method. How hard is the limestone? It will be much easier if soft. I would go big with the chisels to begin with.

Thanks!- not sure-I'll have to look again-most of the rocks around there were chipping/fracturing naturally- I'll recheck it in a couple days. Thanks again!!   Bone