NJ Stream Ammonite

Fishinfossil

A few months back I was exploring a new stream in New Jersey and stumbled upon some matrix where I found this Ammonite. I am not too familiar with NJ Ammonites. Can anyone help identify this particular species? I thought it was pretty cool.

IMG_4321.jpg

This looks like a concretion to me.

I am not seeing any sutures which would indicate that it was an ammonite.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would like to see the specimen from some different angles. What I see there doesn't appear to be an ammonite. Bivalve maybe?

• I found this Informative 3

It's hard to tell from the photos, but on the bottom there are distinct ridges and the overall shape is like a hubcap, like a flying saucer in a way. Here's another image or two showing how it stands out form the rest of the matrix. As well, scroll down I am going to include another interesting specimen I found right next to it. I'm not proficient enough to determine what it is, but maybe you all can help.

IMG_4328.thumb.jpg.01f3eb5fbe3845b8bad33bbabfb1501c.jpg

What you have is an internal mold of the interior of a bivalve.  The "distinct ridges" are an impression of the hinge area.

Don

• I found this Informative 8

It's a nice bivalve cast.

That second specimen is interesting. My first impression was Inoceramus, but I don't think it is that.

• I found this Informative 5

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I'd go with Pycnodonte internal mold for that first specimen. Some of the brooks are loaded with these things. I agree that the second is not likely to be Inoceramus. If you know how to reach Ralph Johnson, he'll know.

• I found this Informative 6

The second fossil may be Gryphaeostrea vomer. At least that is what the concentric growth lines remind me of.

Edited by erose
typo, again!
  • I found this Informative 4

@Carl @erose Thanks for the ideas. What era are those species from? Generally, in NJ the streams are cretaceous, but from what I gather the area I was in might have been of older origin.  The Pycnodonte does resemble the spiral of the shell somewhat, and the Gryphaeostrea vomer certainly has a similar appearance.

@erose @The Jersey DevilSmall NJ Tributary outside the regulars  Just chipped away at some matrix today and found a mess of small gastropod type shells, as well as an orange flaky piece which I suspected was something from a shrimp or crab crustacean

then found the pincer of a claw within it. Stoked!

14 hours ago, Fishinfossil said:

@erose @The Jersey DevilSmall NJ Tributary outside the regulars  Just chipped away at some matrix today and found a mess of small gastropod type shells, as well as an orange flaky piece which I suspected was something from a shrimp or crab crustacean

then found the pincer of a claw within it. Stoked!

Would love to see pics 

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal