Crinoid segments or not a fossil?

ByronNWT

Found on blackstone river NWT Canada. Not sure what formation it is but its either devonian or cretaceous nothing between. My best guess is Fort Simpson formation so late devonian. 

D5853568-71D5-40D0-B5B1-B4A57BBD6F45.png

Full rock. It has many strange things on it i have never seen anywhere else in area.

5806A769-E5CE-425A-817F-A68F250226E3.png

I don’t see a crinoid in this, crinoids are geometrically divided in 5 sides, because it is an echinoderm. Crinoid discs can be round, five-sides and star shaped but, you can see a star shape just like sea urchins if they are not very damaged. Those on your photo are six sided, so it can never be an echinoderm.

Could they be parts of a crinoid cup crushed? I think there are parts of cup that can be hexagonal in shape?

• I found this Informative 1

looks like a busted up sea urchin to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Jasperfossils said:

Those on your photo are six sided, so it can never be an echinoderm.

I don't think this is an absolute.

I don’t think that either. It is too thick to be a piece of a sea urchin, pieces of sea urchins are thin.

Edited by Jasperfossils

1 hour ago, Jasperfossils said:

I don’t think that either. It is too thick to be a piece of a sea urchin, pieces of sea urchins are thin.

Sorry, but I don't think that is an absolute either. Some urchin spines are sizable units. 

3 hours ago, Jasperfossils said:

I don’t see a crinoid in this, crinoids are geometrically divided in 5 sides, because it is an echinoderm. Crinoid discs can be round, five-sides and star shaped but, you can see a star shape just like sea urchins if they are not very damaged. Those on your photo are six sided, so it can never be an echinoderm.

Here's a crionoid calyx with several six-sided parts.

crinoid.jpg

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, Jasperfossils said:

don’t see a crinoid in this, crinoids are geometrically divided in 5 sides, because it is an echinoderm. Crinoid discs can be round, five-sides and star shaped but, you can see a star shape just like sea urchins if they are not very damaged. Those on your photo are six sided, so it can never be an echinoderm.

I think you are assuming they have to be crinoid columnals. There are lots of other parts to a crinoid, such as arms, cups, etc that could have pieces that are shaped similar to these. I’m not saying that proves they are crinoids, just saying it can still be in the running.  

Can OP provide a scale in the photos? I’m having a really hard time judging how large these “chrinoid pieces” are. 

My first reaction would be mineralogical in origin but as to what mineral it could be... :shrug:

The deposits are around 4cm long. Size of each “chrinoid” piece not really sure. Sorry my pictures suck.

5 minutes ago, ByronNWT said:

The deposits are around 4cm long. Size of each “chrinoid” piece not really sure. Sorry my pictures suck.

Nah it’s all good. We all start somewhere and my photography is nowhere near professional myself. 

I see this type of groupings in the Miss. around here quite often, in areas of high echinoderm fossil concentrations, crinoids, sea urchins .

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks