Pleistocene Gastropods, Humboldt County, CA.

Spoons

Hey everyone! I have a couple recent finds that I would appreciate your input on.

I’m currently unsure of the formation that these fossils come from. I found this outcrop underneath a parking lot. It’s orange conglomeratic sandstones which makes me think Hookton Formation which would place it somewhere around 450,000 ybp.  

Scale is in inches.

Here’s the one, I believe it’s a Nucella lamellosa. There’s seems to be a lot of regional variation in this species which is pretty interesting. 

144AF141-311A-4443-A9B7-AC79DFEFA719.jpeg

4FE0F164-B427-4373-AF48-0AE6DD5D601D.jpeg

Magnified 10x

839AA380-160E-44D9-BD9A-4F54B3D3CF98.jpeg

My local University (Humboldt State University) has a website that lists these as Thai lamellosa but to my understanding, and according to WoRMS that name is currently invalid.

Here’s a pic from HSU listed as Thai lamellosa 

72200036-CC50-4E85-95C2-DDD124AE81F9.png

Picture of “Washington State morph” that I believe my specimen shares similarities to these specimens.

5D07C97D-77C1-4B8B-B6B9-38C6C7834882.jpeg

Here’s the other one. I’m really at a loss as to what it is. Like I said before, I believe this is Pleistocene Northern California. Maybe one of you have some ideas. 

CBDFC00D-9E77-4A02-881E-EEF2D4EE98AA.jpeg

5A2FE4B4-939B-4113-9F15-0800DA99DA27.jpeg

Magnified 10x

2D0B7DC9-35DC-4E16-9A7C-01AC3842873E.jpeg

@MikeR is currently helping me with Florida gastropod (and bivalve) IDs. The quality of the display I am making has improved immensely because of the time he has donated to my project. So I feel a bit sheepish alerting him about more gastropods to ID. But IF he is knowledgeable about western Pleistocene gastropods, he may chime in.

• I found this Informative 1

This second ID is really frustrating me. The best I can come up with is an Auger snail in the genus Punctoterebra. 

How about @Tidgy's Dad or @Shellseeker. Do you guys have any ideas?

Heres an image of Punctoterebra plumbea for reference: 

642F7AE5-1D03-49E7-8D1E-E925BA7D1265.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

This second ID is really frustrating me. The best I can come up with is an Auger snail in the genus Punctoterebra. 

How about @Tidgy's Dad or @Shellseeker. Do you guys have any ideas?

Sorry, mate, but Pleistocene gastropods are way out of my comfort zone. :shrug:

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If worst comes to worst I can always take a visit up to the Humboldt State University Marine Lab. Really neat facility with lots of knowledgeable people. Plus they have a touch tanks with SEA SLUGS!

Hi,

The last one reminds me of an Epitoniidae but I don’t know its ancestors.

https://www.alamyimages.fr/photo-image-wentletrap-epitonium-commune-clathrus-shells-on-beach-85282981.html

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Spoons,

I get attached to my "handle".  Prior to finding my 1st fossil in 2008, I spent inordinate hours searching for modern seashells on Sanibel Island, so the handle 'Shellseeker'. I have a great collection of modern shells from Florida and the Caribbean.. that is where my expertise lies.

After starting my fossil hunting career, I did go on field trips for fossil shells and have some expertise but localized. Mike from Minnesota has identified one of the TFF experts in fossil shells and formations: MikeR. I see you have also attracted Coco who has also demonstrated vast expertise in this area.

Long story, Net -- I do not have the skills to help the identification.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you all for your input! I see that this is in fact quite a niche subject, maybe I’ve found my area of specialization?

@Coco that Epitoniidae shell seems promising. I see that the family has a worldwide distribution which leaves the possibility wide open. 

I’ll do some more searching and post anything I find here for your guy’s opinion.

Thanks again

-Nick

On 3/25/2020 at 8:33 PM, Spoons said:

Hey everyone! I have a couple recent finds that I would appreciate your input on.

I’m currently unsure of the formation that these fossils come from. I found this outcrop underneath a parking lot. It’s orange conglomeratic sandstones which makes me think Hookton Formation which would place it somewhere around 450,000 ybp.  

Scale is in inches.

Hi Spoons,

I don't know a lot about shells (more of a shark tooth guy) but you could try comparing yours to finds from the Purisima Formation of the Capitola area or the Rio Dell Formation of your area.  Even if you don't see a match, you might find more references to check out.

Jess