Way to go Monica! I bet it's exciting for Viola too. Maybe you should just wait until things are up and running again and take her along down to Avenue Road with you for the donation personally.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Way to go Monica! I bet it's exciting for Viola too. Maybe you should just wait until things are up and running again and take her along down to Avenue Road with you for the donation personally.

Hey Roger - thanks!  I'd like to donate it in person, too, but I'll transfer the specimen to them using the method they prefer as soon as they're ready to accept it - hopefully they'll allow me to bring it in person :fingerscrossed:

(I'm still super pumped about this find!!!)

Any excuse to meet-up with scientists and get a tour of the non-public side of a museum is well worth the wait. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, digit said:

Any excuse to meet-up with scientists and get a tour of the non-public side of a museum is well worth the wait. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Definitely!  I just hope they would allow this - I'm worried that once we're allowed back into the museum, they might have stricter rules re: social distancing - only time will tell...

On 3/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, Ruger9a said:

Hope you have better luck than I have had so far "trying" to make a donation.  Since the initial "acceptance" (via email on 26 Jan 2020) I still haven't received any documents from the "acceptor".   My three follow up status requests have produced little.  Guess I need to look for another Natural History Museum that is more interested:-(

I assume you are not referring to the Royal Ontario Museum?  It's a bit confusing, the way you phrased your comment.

Anyway I'm sure you are aware that the current situation is far from normal.  I believe all universities, museums etc are closed.  Some people are still on the payroll but expected to work from home.  How well that works out depends on how good their internet is and what computer resources they have at home.  Of course it is also possible they are in the hospital or worse, or they are caring for a sick family member.  I would encourage you to be patient in these troubled times.

Don

11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I assume you are not referring to the Royal Ontario Museum?  It's a bit confusing, the way you phrased your comment.

Anyway I'm sure you are aware that the current situation is far from normal.  I believe all universities, museums etc are closed.  Some people are still on the payroll but expected to work from home.  How well that works out depends on how good their internet is and what computer resources they have at home.  Of course it is also possible they are in the hospital or worse, or they are caring for a sick family member.  I would encourage you to be patient in these troubled times.

Don

Don, Sorry, no I was not and am not referring to ROM.  I had a seed pod Bonanzacarpum sprungerorum confirmed back in mid January and offered it to a (USA) Natural History Museum as a donation on that day.  Long before coronavirus hit the spotlight.  It was immediately accepted with paperwork to follow.  After four follow-ups with "documentation is on it's way" and never received, I put it back in my display cabinet.  As of yesterday I still have not received anything.  I didn't realize donations were so difficult.  After all this covid19 has passed, I will attempt to donate it to another organization.  Maybe I'll have better luck next time.     

6 hours ago, Bob said:

WTG Monica on the fantastic donation to the ROM.

Thanks so much, Bob! :)

• 6 months later...

A few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and mail this specimen directly to the ROM since it doesn't appear as though covid is letting up, making an in-person donation impossible.  The specimen was safely received by the museum and is currently stored in their collections.  Here is a copy of the letter I received from them which acknowledges my donation:

Donation Acknowledgement Letter-October 2020-Signed.pdf

I'm going to frame this letter along with a photo of the hypostome so I'll always remember this amazing experience - I'm still so excited!!!

Thanks again to @piranha for identifying my find and letting me know who to contact in order to donate it!

• I found this Informative 8

1 hour ago, Monica said:

And here is my little contribution to science:

That is wonderful Monica well done , a lovely donation . 

Very charitable, Monica!!! I wish there was an easy way to understand the whos, whats, and wheres of donating finds.  It would give me great joy, as I am sure it did for you, to offer my collections to an institute of higher learning.  But I will continue to be  happy just providing local school districts and nature centers with finds. Hope your  next discovery will be a complete Acanthopyge contusa!!!

Mike

Congratulations, Monica! Well done! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations..... I sort of forgot about that one..in my senility .......Dr. Caron was at my house two weeks ago picking up those items I was prepping for the ROM .........you could have come over and given it to him in person and got to see the monster slab 100% finished

12 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Very charitable, Monica!!! I wish there was an easy way to understand the whos, whats, and wheres of donating finds.  It would give me great joy, as I am sure it did for you, to offer my collections to an institute of higher learning.  But I will continue to be  happy just providing local school districts and nature centers with finds. Hope your  next discovery will be a complete Acanthopyge contusa!!!

Mike

Hey Mike!  I also really wanted to contribute to my "local" museum, so when our resident TFF trilobite expert told me what I had found was special, I asked if he could make a suggestion as to who/where I could donate it, and the rest is history.  And you're right - it did indeed give me great joy to make this donation :)

As for me finding a complete A. contusa - I think it's highly unlikely, but I'll never say never! :fingerscrossed:

6 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Congratulations..... I sort of forgot about that one..in my senility .......Dr. Caron was at my house two weeks ago picking up those items I was prepping for the ROM .........you could have come over and given it to him in person and got to see the monster slab 100% finished

Thanks, Malcolm!  I actually mailed the fossil to the ROM almost a month ago (Maryam and I have been in contact back and forth every so often since March), but I think it took a while to get all of the paperwork in order which is why the letter only arrived very recently.

As for seeing that monster slab that you prepared - I'll just have to see it in person at the ROM when it's displayed there!  And to think that I'll be able to say that I personally know the preparator - awesome! :thumbsu:

Hooooooooooorrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats.gif.dd9d14e8ba95062560c2ed0446d67deb.gif

I'm so pleased for you, Monica. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 10/30/2020 at 5:08 AM, ricardo said:

Monica, congratulations!:default_clap2:

Thanks so much, Ricardo! :)