Darktooth

Congratulations on a rare find Monica, and good for you for donating it!:thumbsu:

Tidgy's Dad

Well done, Monica, I'm very happy for you. :thumbsu:

FossilNerd

That is just grand Monica! Congratulations! 

:yay-smiley-1: 

Jeffrey P

Congratulations Monica on a great find and contribution to ROM's paleontology collection. Thanks for sharing. 

Monica

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!  I'm very happy to be able to contribute a self-found fossil to such a wonderful institution as the ROM!

@digit Ken - I'll definitely submit the appropriate information to the gallery after the donation has officially been made. :)

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

Nice find and donation. Some museum curators say that 90 to 95% of fossils in museums were found by amateurs, not professionals!  People like you are essential too paleontology. Congrats!

piranha

The global reaction of all self-professed trilobite geeks:mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fmail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fdancing smiley      

The Amateur Paleontologist

Amazing news :D Congratulations!!

Malcolmt

That's Awesome... as an alternate you could give it to me and I will pass it along to Maryam or Jean Bernard. A shame you did not have it earlier as they were just at my house for the afternoon a few weeks ago. I ended up donating a number of pieces for the New Dawn of Life Gallery opening in 2021.

Either they are going to be visiting me or I am visiting them again in the next while as I am doing a bunch of prep for the ROM

Ruger9a

Hope you have better luck than I have had so far "trying" to make a donation.  Since the initial "acceptance" (via email on 26 Jan 2020) I still haven't received any documents from the "acceptor".   My three follow up status requests have produced little.  Guess I need to look for another Natural History Museum that is more interested:-(

FranzBernhard
56 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Guess I need to look for another Natural History Museum that is more interested:-(

Yes, its not always easy, some museums are rather picky, and it really depends on what they have already or are specialized in.

For my rather large rudist collection (700 specimens, 200 kg) from the Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation, collected May 2017 to June 2019, I have asked three museums in Austria:

- The Universalmuseum Joanneum in Graz. They accepted happily*, having only a very few specimens of this kind. Their main collection focus is simply "Styria".

- The Natural History Museum in Vienna. They would have accepted it, but they said, its better to have it in Graz. Maybe I can give them my next batch, if there will be any in the future :D.

- The Austrian Geological Survey. They refused to accept the whole collection, but liked to have 10 representative specimens. Which I selected from finds from July-Dec. 2019 for them. Not the best, not the poorest, just representative, as requested.

*It was a big relief, life is much easier with only about 100 rudist specimens...:).

Franz Bernhard

Monica
2 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Nice find and donation. Some museum curators say that 90 to 95% of fossils in museums were found by amateurs, not professionals!  People like you are essential too paleontology. Congrats!

2 hours ago, piranha said:

The global reaction of all self-professed trilobite geeks:mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fmail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fdancing smiley      

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Amazing news :D Congratulations!!

Thanks, guys!  I'm pretty excited!!! :yay-smiley-1:

Monica
1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Hope you have better luck than I have had so far "trying" to make a donation.  Since the initial "acceptance" (via email on 26 Jan 2020) I still haven't received any documents from the "acceptor".   My three follow up status requests have produced little.  Guess I need to look for another Natural History Museum that is more interested:-(

Hi there!

I think they're pretty interested in the specimen because the ROM has an excellent collection of Ontario trilobites, and they don't have a specimen like the one I found, so I think (:fingerscrossed:) that the donation will happen.  I'll post again once the specimen is officially handed over to them...

Thanks for chiming in!

FranzBernhard
1 minute ago, Monica said:

I think they're pretty interested in the specimen because the ROM has an excellent collection of Ontario trilobites, and they don't have a specimen like the one I found, so I think (:fingerscrossed:) that the donation will happen.

So they are specialized in this stuff and they simply can not refuse it. 

Franz Bernhard

Monica
2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

That's Awesome... as an alternate you could give it to me and I will pass it along to Maryam or Jean Bernard. A shame you did not have it earlier as they were just at my house for the afternoon a few weeks ago. I ended up donating a number of pieces for the New Dawn of Life Gallery opening in 2021.

Either they are going to be visiting me or I am visiting them again in the next while as I am doing a bunch of prep for the ROM

Congrats yourself on donating some of your spectacular specimens to the ROM, Malcolm!  But I'm not surprised that they were interested in your stuff - I've seen some of your specimens, and they're fantastic!!! :default_faint::drool::wub::envy:

And you're doing prep work for the ROM, too???  Wow!  I'm sure they'll keep you busy :)

Re: the A. contusa hypostome - I think I'll just wait until they're back at the ROM - that'll give me a bit more time to enjoy looking at it before I donate it ;)

JohnJ

Congratulations on your discovery and follow-up research, Monica!  :default_clap2:

ricardo

Monica, Congratulations! :tiphat:

Monica
2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Congratulations on your discovery and follow-up research, Monica!  :default_clap2:

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Monica, Congratulations! :tiphat:

Thank you, John and Ricardo!

Monica
3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

So they are specialized in this stuff and they simply can not refuse it. 

Franz Bernhard

That's what I'm thinking/hoping :)

deutscheben

Congratulations! What a wonderful feeling, to be able to directly contribute to the annals of paleontology. 

Monica
1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

Congratulations! What a wonderful feeling, to be able to directly contribute to the annals of paleontology. 

Thanks, Ben!  It is a wonderful feeling - I'm still incredibly excited about it!!!

Al Tahan

This is really cool!!! Great stuff Monica :) 

Monica
29 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

This is really cool!!! Great stuff Monica :) 

Thanks, Al! :)