Tree roots and a Worm?

Gottobecdn

Found this rock today hiking with the kids. Never really been much into fossils but man this was interesting. Started thinking about how old it might be and if there's anything else that I'm not seeing due to my lack of knowledge. Came across this site so thought I would post it . Found in Niagara Bruce Trail in Ontario Canada...Rock was probably 14"-16 by 10" by 8" deep. 

IMG_20200326_140908.jpg

IMG_20200326_140908~2.jpg

possibly atatchment points  for mollusc  and part of a crinoid holdfast

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Appreciate the response. So much to learn and research just from thoes comments, thanks. Would a fossil like this be a "common" find in the Southern Ontario Region or would something showing this detail be fairly rare?

It's a very neat display piece either way.  I agree with Herb, it looks like a crinoid stem.  The illustration below should help.

Crinoid illustration - 5.gif

@piranha is correct, these are all trace fossils of burrows in soft sediment.  I argue against Crinoid stem for the segmented looking trace only because it "weaves" in and out of some of the other traces.  It it were a Crinoid stem, and those burrows were after the stem was buried, I would expect more disarticulation.

See this blog post (near bottom) about some that I found in my local Silurain: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2012/04/lewistown-narrows-roadcut.html

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Went back out this morning to try and retrieve that rock, but hiking 3km with a 80lb stone up hills and over boulders proved to be more difficult than I imagined in my head. Only made it half way out. I did find this smaller piece in the same area so it wasn't a total loss.

IMG_20200327_132756~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

A textbook example of Arthrophycus with the median groove in evidence on some of the burrows. Bravo! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Lots of terminology that's all new to me. IAM enjoying the research of it all I must say tho. Any idea as to how old it may be?

As previously mentioned, according to the literature: Arthrophycus in Ontario is reported from the Silurian.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice find, and the small one is much, much better detailed. Silurian is 444 to 419 million years old roughly. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Much respect of all your knowledge and your willingness to share it with me. I wasn't much into fossils before but can guarantee I will be spending countless hours researching this for myself and will definitely be looking down at every rock I step on while out in the bush from here on out. Thanks again guys!

• I found this Informative 1